offshore combo

Looking to get a good offshore overhead combo.

This combo looks pretty sweet from Motacke TLD25 + Spectrum Plus 15-24kg Rod

Or either of these reels look good too

TLD Star 20/40s

or

Shimano Charter Special TR2000LD

the latter mentions that you don't have to know how to 'lay the line' with it ... what does that mean?

Also what rod would be good to go with either of those two. Happy to spend up to about $300 all up.

mate, i do a lot of offshore fishn and the best/ favourite outfit is a tld 15, a live fibre 8-10kg 8 foot rod, i've fished in 115 mtrs with absolutly no problems, except it takes a while to get the line back up because of the gearing but i can live with that, the later q: is some reels have a level wind, it is like a bail arm that goes from left to right and spools the line evenly, don't really need it. something else to bugger up, but thats me.have a look at a saltist 7 foot saa-b 7020c 15-20-30lb rod. i have caught fish over 20kg with no trouble,but spend the money on a reel if you can, it should last a lot longer, { better quality } after all you get what you pay for.confused now.

I have both of the reels mentioned and cannot fault either. I use the TLD25 for trolling for pelagics mainly and the charter special for jigging and fishing baits. Both have a nice drag and have not serviced either with no issues. Both pretty good buys at those prices.

Personally I would go with the level wind. It makes winding in so much easier as you dont have to 'thumb' the line left and right to lay it on the reel. Some of the purists dont like it as they feel it creates friction when a fish is stripping line off the reel madly.

The day a fish strips line off my reel madly I will not be worrying about friction, I will be holding on and yelling woot woot!!

Archived