Electric Motor control panel project

Feral

Ok,

Now that I have proved my two new batteries, I need to set them up so I dont have to be pulling the old multimeter out of the bag to check them all the time, and then having to unbolt cables etc etc while on the water.

So I am going to make up an instrument panel, which has a volt meter, switch to change between batteries and attached cabling so that once it is all setup I can just flick the switch to change batteries, and read how much life is left in the battery in use at any time.

I have the switch left over from my car racing days (can select Battery 1, Battery 2 or both batteries at once by rotating the dial), and will probably mount a multimeter into the panel. (Believe it or not a multimeter is about half the price of a less accurate voltmeter gauge!)

For those who are interested in knowing how I can tell battery condition from a voltmeter, here is the comparison of voltage vs remaining battery life. (This is rough but reasonably accurate - certainly accurate enough for tracking battery usage, and deciding when it is time to go home!)

[ul]

[li]Volts - Remaining Battery Life[/li]

[li]12.7 - 100%[/li]

[li]12.5 - 90%[/li]

[li]12.4 - 80%[/li]

[li]12.3 - 70%[/li]

[li]12.2 - 60%[/li]

[li]12.0 - 50%[/li]

[li]11.9 - 40%[/li]

[li]11.7 - 30% [/li]

[li]11.6 - 20%[/li]

[li]11.3 - 10% [/li]

[li]10.5 - 0%[/li]

[/ul]

Note - most deep cycle batteries should not be discharged below 20% capacity, it reduces the life of the battery significantly. Also note that batteries should be recharged as soon as possible, failure to do so can also reduce battery life.

I have asked Ray to work some of his ebay magic to source the additional parts I need, such as Anderson plugs, cable and terminals. we'll see what he can come up with.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/26 18:50

Archived