Great Barrier Reef trip 2008

MichaelJ

i just spent 4 nights and 5 days no the great barrier reef

the weather was really bad, big seas and wind between 20 and 30 knots except for the last day which wasnt to bad lol

loads of fish caught throughout the trip

Friday Day One

we got out to the reef at 11am and started trolling and at about 12:30 we had a small marlin following the swim bait for a couple min but he didnt eat it:angry: stoped trolling around 4ish and we went behind the reef and that night we got lots of yellow sweetlip and damo got 3 red emperor and a coral trout

Saturday Day Two

put out the laser pro's around 10 and start trolling for macks etc and about 5min after we start trolling doug hooked up to bring in a nice shark mackeral (good bait) 10 or 15min later coal hooked up to bring it a little tuna not long after i hook up after a good fight i bring in my first spanish mackeral around 10kg then damo was on and he brought in another spanish mackeral around 12kg after that we put out the baits and after 2 hours or so we had two marlin start following both baits both all light up and one came in to go for the bait but he missed it:ohmy: then they swam off that arvo back to the reef at this reef we got lots of red bass and i hooked up after a good fight i thought i had another red bass but it was a jack! i thought i had a new pb here but it was 60cm like my last jack:angry: :angry: :angry: also at this reef we got a couple barracouda and a GT also got a long nose sweetlip

Sunday Day Three

weather was even worst than the other days so we stayed behind the reefs light tackle trolling first hit here we hooked up to a nice little marlin got the tag in him pretty quick but then he went for a run and poped the hook so no pic:( after that we had heaps of hits on a laser pro but they didnt hook up so we changed that lure and then we start hooking up with us getting a couple little spanish macks and a shark mackeral or two we went behind the reef but unfortunately at this reef we didnt catch anythin worth talkin about lol

Monday Day Four

a bit better weather that day so we went back to heavy tackle but we also put a little skirted pusher out damo was first to hook up to bring in a 8kgish yellowfin tuna then it was my turn the fish had a huge first run then he went down deep after 10min or so of me getting osme line then him taking it it stoped fighting so i got it in to find it was sharked it would of been around 11kg or so so we started trolling again with coal hooking up to a nice dolly and at the same time we left the big baits out when somthin took it lol but it spat the bait and the dolly weighed 8kg that night our last night on the reef caught a fair few more yellow sweetlip and on sp's i also got a silver trevally and some other reefies but i wasnt gona waste my plastics when there as easy to hook on bait then i caught 3 sharks and we called it a night

Tuesday Day Five

that morning i caught 2 surgeon fish which are really good fighters and also a tea-leaf trevally doug also had a really big run from iether a big shark or a marlin then we went out trolling again and we found a school of little yellowfin tuna and we caught 3 and lost another 1 had to call it a day early to get back to the marlin marina

Archived