Tackle Storage

Terry H

Hey guys,

I haven't been fishing in quite a while and have now been trying to clean up my fishing gear and organising it in a logical and tidy manner. Most of it is easy: lures in tackle trays (great except for oversized lures) and soft plastics in plastic boxes to group them.

What I am struggling to organise are the little odds and ends like split rings, solid rings, trebles, in-line singles, trailer hooks etc.

Now some of these 'odds and ends' are on vastly different ends of the spectrum. Some are bass/bream size, whilst others are tuna and after I get a new boat, I'll be looking at getting into the big GTs. 

I'd love to see what others do for tackle storage in general, but more so the little odds and ends?

Another thing I have been thinking about for big trebles for GT lures is threading matching sizes hooks onto a large split ring (link below). Just need to make sure that the split ring isn't too thick to work for some of the medium sized trebles. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10-units-Very-Large-Nickel-Split-Rings-58mm-Free-Shipping-/182178496855?hash=item2a6aaf4157:g:aagAAOSwMNxXaJlF

Thanks Josh

I thought about using a tackle tray but the little packets for split rings wont sit neatly in (at least in the Plano trays I have). Alternatively I could pull them out of the packet, but being small they'll no doubt slide under/over the dividers if shaken up too vigorously and get mixed up. It'd also be nice to have them in the packet so that all the specs/details are available. Do you put them in the packets or empty them out into the individual trays?

I just thought of this now - maybe a long, skinny container that could fit that sort of split ring / trailer hook packet standing up and just file them stacked one after another like business cards (or those old card-file systems)? not sure what's available like that.

The Trebles though is another issue. almost thinking of a plastic container and just storing them in the little plastic boxes they come in .. I thought maybe a tackle tray for them as well but that wont handle XOS GT hooks. Then again, I'd want those off separate to the bass gear. 

Yes I do empty my packets into the individual compartments. If I want to remember the specs I cut that part off the packet and put it in too. 15 compartments gives you plenty of sizes in split and solid rings.

In regards to the small rings getting past the dividers, yes they did do that until I glued them in and I also laid a thin sheet of foam on top of them before I close the lid. Haven't had any issues since. For a little bit of work I have them all in the one tray.

Just now, fifis101 said:

Sounds like a similar idea to the large split ring I mentioned. You may not get too many 5/0 GT trebles on a snap.

Yeah same principle. I generally don't have more than 2 spares for gt hooks in the boat as I just change them before a session and haven't needed them out. Just prefer the snap clips and swivels to rungs as they are easier to get hooks on and off

This is not exactly storage but using these velcro straps is a great little idea to stop larger lures smacking up against your rod during travel. Also stops swinging hooks from marking your lures too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10X-Mixed-Color-Velcro-Cable-Tie-Winder-Rope-Holder-Wire-Cord-Organizer-Strap-/252783644805?hash=item3adb145085:g:b1sAAOSwWxNYrqMG

Image result for lure strap

Archived