Jet Lag, Catch Up,pb & Close Encounters Of The Whale Kind.

Luke Landrunner

Sitting down in the library Thursday morning, I noticed Wayne had thrown out a decky spot some 10 hours earlier and no-one had hit it.

Having returned from our hit and run visit to the U.S. for another Burning Man. ( YouTube it you may see me...) I was still suffering get lag and a severe sinus infection, damn dust, but instantly felt much better. Going.Fishing.Yes!

We were treated with beautiful conditions and steamed out to an area Wayne had done well with his boys earlier in the month.

Only using Gobblers plastics and an assortment of micro jigs led to a clean day.

For the first half an hour or so we fished plastics, giving them action to entice a bite. Nothing much happening and Wayne left his to dead stick while letting down a MJ. Not long after his plastics rod buckled over and he pulls up a high 40s squire to get off the mark.

Seeing the dead sticking working ( beer drinking fishing ) I did the same. Working our MJ's for the occasional bump and brief hookup, my plastic gets hit by a 35cm maori cod.

Then I land another squire of similar size on the plastic.

This dead sticking plastics is too easy as Wayne brings up another fish, this time an undersize Kingy.

Finally my MJ gets smashed and a fight to get this fish off the bottom begins. Usually my Gomoku rod is matched with one of my Stradic 5000 but today I chanced the 4000 Rarenium. The drag screamed as the fish went on a few runs and the heart was beating fast as it was a decent fish on the end of this toothpick setup. Up plopped an 85cm Mulloway which was a PB for me.

The esky was looking good for a few meals.

The bite stopped and we searched and sounded with no luck. The Markfish was doing its job and Wayne was happy. He made the call to go out to some Pearl Perch marks in 70-80m. On the way we came across some birds and fish working the surface and Wayne landed a fat MacToona and then continued to the marks.

The wind had started to pick up as did the run and it was making vertical drops difficult even as we increased weight. Wayne managed an undersized Pearly in between two really good sized fish that were lost half way up much to his anguish.

Then the visitors arrived. we had seen whales all day, in the distance.... These three were real close and one decided to come and say hello. Never have we been this close to whales that you could almost touch! He/She would lift its head out of the water, blow bubbles, swim under the boat and come up the other side and just hung around the Luvit like it was a toy. much to our amazement not once in its many passes so close did it even touch us. ( I'm sure Wayne wanted his lifejacket on at first.) This went on for about 15 minutes after a few times we thought they had gone when they went deep only to return just as close. After their last deep dive we decided to take off to try for some more Pearlies.

With nothing going down well we made the call to head for the ramp, stopping for bust ups where Wayne managed another MT. I'm still to get my first Long Tail.....

Another great day out on the water.

16 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

What a cracking day. Amazing. Thanks for writing up the report mate. It must nearly be time to try and crack a sara? 

Thanks Robbie.

We will definitely have to have another go at introducing you to a Sara or three. Haven't been back myself since our session and have noticed the bottle brushes in full bloom......

5 hours ago, natang said:

Sounds a really amazing day on the water! That would scare the crap out of me whales continually passing under my boat....

Same for me. We had 2 of them flapping there flippers around only a few meters from the boat when I had 2 Germans with me. They loved it.... me... not so much. Great to see all the same. 

Archived