Barra Park Cheeky Prefish

Angus

Well a hard day at the office.

Rob Searing from Searing Tackle was up in Brisbane today and we were due to meet and discuss further sponsorship for AFO event (thank you very Rob) as well as future lure additions to the AFO shop. Well we thought the barra park at Bli Bli would be a great place to discuss business!

I also asked Nabs to come along to further discuss the sponsorship AFO is giving him for upcoming Minibucks and ABT events as well as to just have a fish.

Long story short.

Love the place.

We all caught plenty of Barra in Barra creek and we all hooked up to big fish in the big boys. I hooked two and lost two sadly but i had good fights.

Rob and Nabs both landed 80cm + fish on 2000 size spin reels. Nabs probably walked 200meters and spent over 10minutes to land his biggest. It was truly an awesome fight.

Anyway I am very looking forward to this sunday at the AFO meet. This place is perfect for this style of event.

Regards

Angus

Picture: My first of the day. I didnt get any other photo's of myself :( but took plenty :) [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1-54895098330d69ac4e3be628dd721f8f.jpg

post-63-144598445287_thumb.jpg

ellicat wrote:

Nice teaser Angus. Some nice fish there (especially Nabbs :woohoo: - well done).

I'm guessing some of the sponsors products did the trick.

Guys we worked very hard with Lures on and off. However could not raise a touch.

All fish were caught on *drum role please* .... Pellets :P Still good fun.

Stu: Nabs will is competing in at least 10 different events this year and has already qualified for the grand final for ABT. We have helped him out a little and in return he will be proudly displaying the AFO logo :) We are not quite up giving him a skeeter yet though :P In fact he is competing in TAssie this weekend so good luck mate.

Angus

Hahaha Kevin im flattered. But I would hardly call me legendary!!! Although I must say I thought Nabs and Rob's perseverance with a variety of lures would pay off.

Its going to be a good day though. Plenty of big boys in the big boys pond, and for those at are there just for the fun of it, the 40cm-60cm models in the Barra Creek still take several drag stripping runs before they are subdued.

Angus

Yeap weightless pellets and those mini hooks they give you. Also only the lighter gear got touched. All fish were landed on les than 10ln leader and 8lb main lines. We tried heavier and the pellet would sit there for ages until it just sunk with no hit.

The light gear makes the fight interesting! But at least you get the fight.

Try to keep the line at a right angle though or straight out from the fish. All the big boys we lost were lost due to a quick head shake the leader getting cut on the gill plate.

Angus

Just had the tip runner replaced on my fav light baitcaster, so I'll bring that and maybe a spinning reel setup, If I am keen I'll bring the heavy baitcaster and some squidgee's. Alex can try out his little baitcaster, and I'll bring another spinning rod for him.

Got some 6lb and 10lb flouro I'll bring for leaders, and 40lb Cajun for my lures (hey rather no bites than no lures!)

Kev, If I catch any Barra with Megabass lures stuck in them we can negotiate a finders reward :)

Hi All

just got back into adelaide. A Big thanks to Angus for taking us out there and putting up with my antics. It is a great place and i am sure that everyone will do well there. It was not to be the day when lures ruled the waters. However the fun to be had with the pellets and the surface action was awesome. I will try and post some pics later on when i have unpacked.

By the way. i filmed nabs big barra and it took around 15 minutes to land.

I made a mark on my leg to check the size of my barra and it was exactly 80cm, i reckon nabs was 85cm. Watch those gill rakers, i got a gash to remember them by.

Feral wrote:

Just had the tip runner replaced on my fav light baitcaster, so I'll bring that and maybe a spinning reel setup, If I am keen I'll bring the heavy baitcaster and some squidgee's. Alex can try out his little baitcaster, and I'll bring another spinning rod for him.

Got some 6lb and 10lb flouro I'll bring for leaders, and 40lb Cajun for my lures (hey rather no bites than no lures!)

Kev, If I catch any Barra with Megabass lures stuck in them we can negotiate a finders reward :)

i will not swim my MB lures with anything less than 16lb though, lol

Zim man wrote:

Hi All

just got back into adelaide. A Big thanks to Angus for taking us out there and putting up with my antics. It is a great place and i am sure that everyone will do well there. It was not to be the day when lures ruled the waters. However the fun to be had with the pellets and the surface action was awesome. I will try and post some pics later on when i have unpacked.

By the way. i filmed nabs big barra and it took around 15 minutes to land.

I made a mark on my leg to check the size of my barra and it was exactly 80cm, i reckon nabs was 85cm. Watch those gill rakers, i got a gash to remember them by.

Anyone got any pointers for handling Barra safely?

Little ones like that just grab em by the mouth, bigger ones you need to support under the belly as well, unless you want to be paying the price per kilo for taking it home! (remember you have to get a photo on your brag mat)

Same as most native fish, watch the gills and spines, and you'll be right.

Archived