Putting Fireline on a spool ?

Mick

I am about to put some 4lb fire line on my 2500 reel, I would like to know a few things..

Should I put it over some mono ??? if so what knot should I use to join the mono and the Fireline?

If \"knot\" what knot should I use to tie the Fireline to the spoool

What knot should I use to join the Fireline to the fluro leader

------------&&&---------O--------------------J

Mono line underneath you fireline or \"Backing\" as its commonly known is used if you dont have the the length of fireline/braid it would take to fill the spool. Which is often the case as these braided lines can be expensive!

So check the spool capacity vs your reel capacity.

If you need more line put some backing on. I tie my backing on with a Double granny knot :P It really doesnt matter, if a fish strips you to this point, game over anyway regardless of teh knot.

Also with the backing, you can use line heavier

As to Backing to main line, and main line to leader i use Blood Knot to Blood Knot. But this varies as everyone likes different leader knots.

Hope this is of some help.

Angus

• 2 weeks later...

or just get a 1000 reel so u dont need to put backing on:P

although i have a 2500 and i just put on some mono backing and i just estimated and filled about half of my spool with it and then i just prayed i had enough fireline to fill the rest.

i used a double uni knot when tying the backing to main...and then also the double uni when main to leader.

hope this helps

cameronB)

Feral wrote:

If it is a 100yard spool of fireline, it will go pretty close without backing on a 2500, might be a little low, but manageable. I've recently been the tackle shop asking advice! but was not going to pay the $27 for the spool of fire line! 0 I am cheap :blush: )

or my reel, i still need to put backing on it ( its a 1000 size reel)

best idea is to go into your local tackel shop and ask them to put it on for you.

They will have a better idea

Just make certain the line is securely tied to the spool

If you are leaving out a lure to troll and forget it and the line runs out and a granny knot lets go you have lost your line and lure and you will say more than \"bother\".

The best method i have found is that you need 3 empty reels.

step 1 wind the braid onto the reel you want to use.

step 2 top the spool up with backing.

step 3 wind it all onto reel 2.backing now underneath

step 4 wind it all onto reel 3.backing now on top.

step 4 now wind it all back onto reel 1 and the backing is now underneath with the spool filled to correct level.

If you are using an eggbeater with a spare spool its much easier as you can use the spare spool and do it in 2 steps.

Ray

Archived