Tilapia Day Kurwongbah 21/12/08.

rayke1938

I will be tilapia fishing at Mick Hanfling park corner Torrens road and Beeville Road Petrie UBD reference 88 D 15 at 8am on Sunday 21st December.

Feel free to come along and bring the kids and have a relaxing day and help remove some noxious fish to allow the bass to grow.

This is NOT an official AFO event as Seq Water requires AFO to take out indemnity insurance to hold an event on their property.

We will be collecting some fin clipping samples for a combined DPI/ Uni study on tilapia.

Hopefully this may enable a way to be found to control these fish in our waterways.

Will have a barby and finish up around lunch time.

I will be keeping a log of hours spent fishing as the hours can be counted as fishing effort to control tilapia and will help with grant funding to the PRFMA.

See you all there it will be a fun day.

Cheers

Ray

faulked wrote:

does this mean every hour spent fishing there earns the stocking group cash to spend on stocking the local dams so we can catch cool fish dam you couldnt be onto a better winner than that

To recieve the final payment of a grant the PRFMA have to demonstrate a certain number of hours spent on the fishery before the end of 2008 and this will count towards the total which has almost been achieved.

Angus I was thinking of winding it up around 2pm as I think that the kids would be worn put by then.

Cheers

Ray

P1010500AFO.jpg

Then went to NPD for PRFMA meeting. The ramp is looking good with water on temporary ramp but will be a few months before boating scheme is activated.

P1010503AFO.jpg

This is the arm leading to the main dam.

P1010504AFO.jpg

Stopped off at Kurwongbah again on the way home . Saw a few young blokes fishing but they were not catching anything.

The dam is max capacity and has been overflowing the spillway for a few weeks now. Thank goodness the bass are too young to have breeding instincts to attempt to go downstream.

Cheers

Ray

Be a few months before boating access commences. Lots of paperwork etc to be done.

Have to get permission from SEQ water and water has to rise to 50%.

Reason for this is we have to be reasonably certain that if it doesnt rain for 12 months we will still have enough water to launch for the 12 month period.

The wheels are in motion in anticipation that the dam will reach 50% fairly soon.

Cheers

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Bump this is the thread for the day.

Would people please give an indication if you are going to attend.

Please note this is NOT an official AFO event just a social gathering between friends who are interested in catching tilapia.

If it was an official event we would have to get indemnity insurance before SEQ water would give us a deed of occupancy for the day.

Cheers

Ray

YEp I'll be there too.... does someone have a lot of earthworms that they can bring?? i've had a look in my garden... and there 2 bits of f'all worms there.

So can someone let me know if this is the right gear to take... bream rod and reel set up with modified bait jig (those ones you use for small herring) with a very light sinker at the bottom, and a float on-top. Pieces of earthworm on each hook.... sound about right???

Around 12oclock on Sunday Simon and partner from QUT will be turning up.They are doing a genetic study on tilapia and wish to collect aprox 50 fin clippings.

I will have an esky with some ice in it to keep the caught fish in. After the clippings are taken the fish will be disposed of as it is not legal to transport the fish.

Cheers

Ray

Ta Jimmybob, float or no float?

OK they have been working on the BBQ area, so dunno if the BBQ;s will be working, so I am taking my BBQ along. Anyone wants to use it its sweet!

I'll be wearing a fishingtales.com.au shirt, (Still got Feral on my pocket for those who dont know my ugly mug) - my sons will be wearing fishingtales shirts with Brisbane Fishing on their pockets.

I am aiming for not long after 8am.

Archived