waving the wand

jeff f

does anyone out there do any fly fishing? i'm an absolute rank beginer, tryed it twice so far, caught heaps of scenery first time and my own arse the second.

just about ready to try it again, biggest problem is finding somewhere that there's room to back cast i reckon i need to find a huge deserted sand bar and se if i can cath me a flatty. there supposed to be suckers for a minnow type fly.

I rate myself as less than a beginner I did about a half hour session with Leanne Payne at one of Steve Wilkes father and son weekends. I have since brought myself a fly rod and reel which are gathering dust in my shed.

I was thinking that maybe taking it up to Lake Sampsonvale for our barby fishing day and having a play up there if some kindhearted person could give some coaching.

Ray

i used to have a fly rod..(broken now) and i really took to it quite well...i have landed one nice bass from my mates dam over 5 years ago now....i did find it easier to use lighter surface poppers than the heaveir clousers for flattys....when im rich i will be getting another fly rod for sure:P

bloody expensive to get it all started again:angry:

I used to be one of the fly fishing brigade down south chasing trout on dry and wet fly, what sort of line are you using as that can be a trap for beginners, a double taper line is best to get the technique right, and once u get the hang of it the weight fwd lines will give u the extra distance, It can take a bit of practice to get it right

I don't know where you stand on catfish jeff, but if you don't mind catching them, the bigguns in Wivenhoe go ballistic when hooked on light tackle. I don't see why they wouldn't take a fly, it would just have to be weighted to get it down. They would sure be good fly practise if you could tempt them!

Snubnosed Gar are also in abundance in Wivenhoe over the warmer months. I have berleyed them in with bream and caught them using tiny SPs (and much bigger HBs!), so I recon a small white fly would do the trick!

ps - plenty of room for a back cast at Wivenhoe, and your best bet would probably be in the morning, when there is less wind about.

pps - I remember an old post on Ausfish, someone was practising with the long rod at Colleges and ended up landing a little Bull!

jimmybob wrote:

i used to have a fly rod..(broken now) and i really took to it quite well...i have landed one nice bass from my mates dam over 5 years ago now....i did find it easier to use lighter surface poppers than the heaveir clousers for flattys....when im rich i will be getting another fly rod for sure:P

bloody expensive to get it all started again:angry:

hey jimmy i picked up three flyrods on ebay for under $20 a piece, good enough for beginers,i can almost afford to throw them in the river when i get:angry:

• 1 year later...

If you want a good starter in fly-fishing, book yourself in at Glassies Fishing World. I caught a handfull of fish on fly there on my only visit and had a ball. I think the whole park is fly only and that if you don't catch at least one fish you get your money back. It has been a while since I've been their though, so things may have changed;) From memory I caught a handful of fat Barcoo Grunter and at least one Silver Perch. I should have some piccies somewhere if anyone is interested.B)

Archived