Chicken gut

tailorlub

Over the last while we've been using chicken gut alot. it is amazing for bream better than prawns or anything.

it stays on the hook . doesnt stink too much . doesnt go off. but the only problem is it only catches bream haha!

anyone else use chicken gut or something odd that just works well?

I've got good Bream on raw chicken breast (better quality stuff stays on the hook longer), mullet gut was the bollox for a while, bread is great, steak gets nibbled but not many hook ups, but my all time favourite catch was on a small bit of Cheese Twisty . PB Bream out of Brizzy River (28cm) was on raw chicken breast. Don't forget the finnickyness of Bream from day to day. And apparently, to answer your question, you hsve to target your fish via a selected sp, dead bait is a lucky draw...............:( :silly:

Bread? How does it stay on?

Hi... you can tell I'm a newbie to fishing and this site so hoping not to hijack this thread. Been thinking of chicken guts for the same reason as Mopar... getting tired of losing a pack of prawns at record speed so up for anything new to try.

Cheers.

you have to mould the bread around the hook....helps if you use a little bit of spit to do it.

apparently chicken is the duck's nuts for bream. though i think thigh meat might last a little longer than breast.

i remember being at noosa one winter for a couple of nights using pillies......i was getting picked to bits and managed 4 fish in about 6 hours total of fishing. the old bloke down from me was using chicken breast that had been left to sit in some parmesan cheese......he was pulling them in and letting them go one after the other......%R^&*$$%^@#$!!!

thousandyards wrote:

you have to mould the bread around the hook....helps if you use a little bit of spit to do it.

apparently chicken is the duck's nuts for bream. though i think thigh meat might last a little longer than breast.

i remember being at noosa one winter for a couple of nights using pillies......i was getting picked to bits and managed 4 fish in about 6 hours total of fishing. the old bloke down from me was using chicken breast that had been left to sit in some parmesan cheese......he was pulling them in and letting them go one after the other......%R^&*$$%^@#$!!!

chicken thigh meat left in a container with parmesan cheese and/or carlic is great

or as you said a little spit or garlic juice and squash the bread to dough with the hook in it with just the point sticking out, fish it unweighted let its own weight slowly sink it

I use to use chicken gut alot at fishermens island. Caught plenty of bream, but it became to stinky for me. lol

Now days i use chicken breast, have caught plenty of big bream, Big eye travelly, tailor and catfish in the Nerang River.

Used it at fishermens island one time at dawn and caught 2 big flatties, 2 estuary cods and plenty of bream.

My brother caught a 65cm Jew on chicken breast, was meant for bream.

For Bream - try a ham/cheese scroll from the bakery - the oils help it mounld around the hook, and the bream love it.

As far as gut goes - I also have picked up a couple of 35cm Cod off the rock wall opposite fishermans island in the last two weeks (I use a combination of squid and mushy gut on the one hook - same as a bottom feeding squid and herring combo).

Good Luck!

Archived