Cant decide on reel!

Feral

Ok, got some chrissy money burning a hole in my pocket.

Want a reel to match my loomis, settled on the Okuma Inspira range.

http://www.knkfishing.com/html/inspira.html

Only problem is I use it both for bass and barra, so really need 2 reels, one light one heavy.

So I cant decide to go with the 20 for Bass, or the 45 for barra!

Obviously the Barra need the better quality reel,and I could easily continue with my cheap shimano R series for bass, it has served me very well so far. But I dont fish for barra all that often, and would like to use my new reel!

SO what should I do, get the reel I would use most often, or get the reel I might use only 3 or 4 times a year?.

I am leaning towards getting the reel I will use most often, what does everyone reckon?

Loomis is a 6-8kg custom

Whats a \"Vsystem\", never heard of it?

Just looked it up, talk about bells and whistles and gold plating!

Reels at that end of the market usually run huge profit margins, and are poor value for money. I dont think I need a 16 ball bearing race reel for what I want to do!

To be honest I consider the Inspira an indulgence!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/25 13:20

Feral, im in the same situation, buy a spinning reel for bream/bass that i will use often, or the baitcaster for barra and jacks that i will use 4 times a year.

In your case tho i would go for the barra reel cos the 6-8kg lomis wouldn't be suited to the samll lures and stuff you use for bass. And you would practically skulll drag em across the top of the water.

hope this helps.

Thanks Jindivik,

I had pretty well decide on the bigger reel, the loomis does have enough feel to use for Bass, been using it with a 2000 with 6lb line on it, and works fine, Mostly use plastics, and does cast them ok, well further than Ferg's baitcaster, and thats all that matters eh? :evil:

It comes with a spare spool, so will also hit ebay for some extra braid, will get sonme light as well as the heavy I already have to put on the 2 spools. (Ray gave me a 150 yard spool of 20lb braid, but buggered if I can remember where I stashed it! will be perfect if I can ever find it)

The 45 is somewhat heavier than the 40, I suspect the 45 might be the first reel to have the twin drag system, if it is 45 here I come.! (Otherwise the 40)

Feral wrote:

Loomis is a 6-8kg custom

Whats a \"Vsystem\", never heard of it?

Just looked it up, talk about bells and whistles and gold plating!

Reels at that end of the market usually run huge profit margins, and are poor value for money. I dont think I need a 16 ball bearing race reel for what I want to do!

To be honest I consider the Inspira an indulgence!<br><br>Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/25 13:20

lol thats why i said to get it...its the top of the line...lol

Personally I don't like Okuma reels. I would rather a cheap Shimano like a Sienna or Sahara. I find Okuma a brand that tries hard to keep up but can't though I guess it's just personal preference of reels you like.

If your going to use a spinning reel for Barra you need a better quailty reel then what you would need if you were using a baitcaster. Baitcasters have a more self controlled drag since you can just press down on the spool plus they are more accurate. With a spinning reel you should be scared to do the drag locked tight with cheaper reels since it can just 'pop' and then not work at all. But I would say go for it if your only using it for Bass.

Troy

Archived