Battery position

Smiderman

Hi guys just looking for a bit of advice re positioning a battery and the associated risks

I've got a little 3.7m tinnie and at present I have the battery located in the middle of the boat.. the primary reason is to keep it away from the fuel tank, but a real pain in the rrrrs there.

My question is how much of a risk it is having located at the back in the opposite corner to the fuel tank.. ps its in one of those plastic battery boxes. A

Any advice and recommendations for its location & ways mitigate the risks would be greatly appreciated :)

what sort of tinny.

runabout or tiller stear from the rear.

If tiller stear i would be putting weight forward.

Either moving your fuel tank to the front or the battery.

Ive had battery asnd fuel in opposite corners at the back. ITs not the safest but doable.

Then i found with weight forward it was a different boat.

i had mine in the back next to the fuel tank in a batt box for 4 years in my tinnie, only problem was i didnt have a bracket or floor to keep the box of the hull of the boat, i had the box sitting on the hull strapped to the transom support, caused a hair line crack from bouncing while on the trailer, i now have the box screwed into my floor back left hand corner of the main middle floor, no probs here plus now i have my switches in the top of the box..

shortie wrote:

what sort of tinny.

runabout or tiller stear from the rear.

If tiller stear i would be putting weight forward.

Either moving your fuel tank to the front or the battery.

Ive had battery asnd fuel in opposite corners at the back. ITs not the safest but doable.

Then i found with weight forward it was a different boat.

tiller stear from the rear.

to be honest, i don't think you would have any problems, apart from the boat taking a bit longer to get on the plane, but if you can, put the tank in front of the front seat, or the battery up there, i have my fuel tank up front on a floor that was made up alongside with the anchor in a bucket, just opens the boat up so much more.

cheers rob

Archived