hooks.

Guest IcEkNiGhT

Guest IcEkNiGhT

just wondering if any of you know how long it takes a hook to rust out of a fish?

the 10 foot tawny nurse shark showed up agian on the beack so i cut him up and got my 16/0 7690 offset hook outta him which has been in the water arrr 3=4 days now and it has no rust what so ever on it. its a duratin too i thought they were gone in a day or two?

I do not ever recall reading any research on this subject. Could it be that the wound festers the same as a prickle in your foot and the hook just pops out or that it is just a \"feel good\" falacy without any scientific backing. Interesting subject looking foward to much more discussion.I have always wondered how stainless hooks rust away.

Ray

Guest IcEkNiGhT

hrmmz its an interesting one. i have heard stainless hoooks are there forever thats why i dont use them. but this duratin hook suprizes me... as for gerty92 i know what you mean my pliers are f***** and there stainless too. :S

Cheap grade of stainless fellas!

Thats why I buy $1 pliers from crazy clarks etc, A quick spray with Inox before use and I usually get a few trips before the rust sets in and I chuck them.

Small untreated hooks rust away in a month or two, but most have some sort of treatment, so I'd reckon a bit longer. A shark hook would probably take years to rust away, even if plain steel.

If anyone is super interested, and want to supply me with some of the larger sized hooks I'll stick them in the lab at work and find exactly how long it takes! - I'd do a few under normal conditions, and a few at accelerated temperature and oxygen levels.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/12/31 20:53

Guest IcEkNiGhT

yeah i think its the carbon content that rusts. thats why stainless props rust. the need the carbon or the blades are too brittle. same as pliers id guess. i only use them for chopping wire to release sharks or cutting the end of zippie ties off......

rayke1938 wrote:

I do not ever recall reading any research on this subject. Could it be that the wound festers the same as a prickle in your foot and the hook just pops out or that it is just a \"feel good\" falacy without any scientific backing. Interesting subject looking foward to much more discussion.I have always wondered how stainless hooks rust away.

Ray

there was some research done into this question done in the early eightys by macquarie university i think it was. they used bream as the test species and found that bronze, nickle plated and carbon steel hook were rejected in 3 to 5 days by bacterial ulceration when hooked in soft tissue, when hooked through bone they were there till they corroded.stainless hooks took longer for the bacteria to start the ulcer but once started the hooks were generally gone in the same 3-5 day period.low grade stainless hooks took alot longer to corrode and high grade stainless sometimes didn't corrode at all. most of the fish in the study were unafected by having a hook in them unless it damaged the gills or was swallowed damaging internal organs.

i'll get intouch with a friend of mine down the coast and see if he still has the paper on file

Archived