Another Brisbane River Thready

blue_mako

Ando, Tim and I headed down to the Lower Brisbane River for a shot at some Salmon since Tim hadn't caught a good one before. Ando was onto a foul hooked Ray early on and we all got into 1 or 2 Catties through-out the night with nothing unusual.

When the bite started to slow down we started flicking a few plastics in the shallows for some Bream and Cod. Ando was on first cast to a Moses Perch as was I with a Bream. We didn't get a Cod only managed to land a few more Bream and a 42cm Flattie which kept us entertained as only the Catfish were biting.

Tim got onto a very obvious Salmon and after some solid head shakes under the pontoon it was all over spitting the hook. Tim wasn't a happy chappy.

Tim's Mum arrived and it was time for him to go. (It was past his bed time ;)) Just before he had to leave the Barra combo started getting a few taps. Tim was right on it since he really wanted a Salmon. He gave it a good yank and he was on to something small but had extreme head shakes so it was called for a small Salmon by Ando. Up came Tim's first ever shark, a nice little Bronzie Whaler measuring 64cms.

Soon after Tim had left the Abu made that never ending buzz that we all wanted to hear. Ando pulls it from the rod holder and starts getting into what we thought was a Ray. Half way through the fight Ando handed me the rod since he had already landed a few Catties and Rays for the night, what are mates for? :P . Once he hands it over, quote, This better not be a Salmon ay? unquote. The fish was right under the pontoon and heading for the bottom as a Ray does. But there were a few chracterising headshakes that had us both guessing.

Up pops a 84cm Thready thrashing about on the surface. I pass the rod to Ando leant over and bellied him up onto the platform. We got a few flicks and sent him on his way. Happy with the night we decided to head back to home for a good nghts sleep.

Total Tally between the 3 of us was:

5 Yellowfin Bream

1 Moses perch

1 Dusky Flathead

5 Forktailed Catfish

1 Common Ray

1 Bronze Whaler

1 King Threadfin Salmon

Ando has pics taken on his new digital camera he bought for cristmas which might I say is quite the impressive camera. They will be up on the site by around 1pm this arvo.

Troy

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2007/01/02 09:00

Well done!

Catching the other small species on plastics would have been good to kill the time in between runs.

Just speculation, but wouldnt that be the first trip where a shark and salmon were caught?

Angus

P.S. Looking forward to the pics.

Angus

He he thats a tiny shark!

Still i like seeing different species in the river.

Besides Bullies that is!

Hey Brian based on some of your old pictures i would have called it as a small school shark?

Angus

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2007/01/02 14:36

They do have that diffinetive whaler tail.

However there are dozens of loal whaler species and many are quite hard to tell apart. And i imagine at the size and age this would be even more emphasised.

Also apparantly despite many bay whalers being named as Bronze whalers, bronzies dont actually venture this far north as a general rule.

Anyway id be interested to see if anyone comes back with a positive becuase one thing is for sure and thats that its no bully.

Angus

Well a shark is a shark. All I know is it was about half the body and mouth width of any other shark I have caught the same size. Also it did about 1000 more head shakes then lazy old Bullie would.

We got another Threadfin last night so we will post up another report today.

Troy

Archived