Sharking newbie

kakaryan

well, i hv read many posts here and i m excited to go for bullies in the river as soon as possible.B) but i still hv some question.:blush:

How deep u guys usually fish? i mean, if i use a float, what is the lenght from the float to the hook? ( if i use a 1m wire and the float is attached to the mainline, the lenght should be at least 1m, or even deeper )

and i also wanna ask do bullies in the river pull out lots of line when they are hooked? Or what is the minimun amount of main line (eg.20lb) should have in the reel? as i hvnt targetted them before, i dont know how strong they are. i hv read many posts, they usually suggest how many lb main line u should use but seldom mention how much main line should hv in the reel.:dry:

shark fishing in the river only requires 20lb at the max. beleave or not most little bull sharks are cought in 1mtr of water. they cruise the shallow flats on the high tide. the bigger sherks around 1.3-1.7mtrs give ya drag a work out but the average big shark is about 1.5mtrs . I fish mostly around moggil, goodna,kooka park,riverside and the bremer river. 1mtr of trace backed with 80lb mono 60cm long is enough to land em on the bank of the river.

hi mick, thx for the comments. so how many 20lb line u have in your reel?

as i already hv some 2500 fill with 14lb fireline and a 3000 spinning reel, i m wondering do i need to buy another 4000 size to hold more line, if the 3000 one can hold about 100m 20lb fireline already?:blush:

or even the 14lb one can land a bully?:ohmy:

and for the 80lb mono between the wire and the main line, i know it is used to keep the main line out from the shark's body/tail as it can be cut by the skin. so if i use a longer wire, longer than the shark, let says 2m, and i dont need to add the mono then?

3500 reel is perfect with a fuul spool.As for your idea of 2mtr of trace it might be a bit much to cast and mono cheaper than wire. use 1mtr of wire then a 40lb swivel 80lb mono with a pea sinker running on it then do a line to line of equal diamiter knot, there are few different knots you can use may have to double up the 20lb to achieve one of the knots.Now you have a mini wind on leader almost to the swivel leaving just over 1mtr of trace to cast . much easier :cheer:

Archived