Ecogear sx40

tdawg

i was wondering whether people think the ecogear sx 40 is overated, they cost around 18$ in the shops when you can get a cheap 5$ minnow. whats the diference between the two? :ohmy: I know you hear people saying the sx 40 is the best for bream but is it actualy any different from some cheapo?

And if i were to get and ecogear sx40, whats the best colour scheme for breaming in river?:S

tnx Tim

I like the bronze/brown one.

Although i love a bargain, i often see people with cheapo lures getting ourfished byt people using lures such as jakals, SX40's etc.

Whether this better design or not who knows. It could be a matter of confidence instilled in the user.

A cheaper option i have just as good success with is the Halco Laser Pro. Nice little lures.

The Halco Scorpions are great as well.

But i still like to have at least 1 SX40 in the box.

Angus

Egogear are great from my experience - they suspend just right, dive great and cast well. All mine have been perfectly balanced.

What I find with teh cheap lures is that sometimes they don't swim straight and are a waste of money -not all of them just some of them.

So I suppose what I am saying is with quality gear you are quarnteed and cheap stuff you take your chances.

I use both! In fact don't tell feral but he caught 2 bass at Baroon on my chaep lures - 1 was a minow that cost $5 and another that was $6 bream lure - the minow swam realy well but the bream lure swam like it dizzy. But they both caught fish.

Hey Angus someone Karmered You - what you done now? Here have one back for coming to Lenthals.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/01/11 15:51

I don't think any of Ecogear's current lure models suspend Brian. They are either sinking like a VT65 (Lipless Crankbait), Slow floating like an SX40 or SX48, or fast floating like a CK40.

I find the better quality lures like Ecogear and other Japanese brands like Duel/Yo-Zuri or Hardcore swim much better then cheapy lures. I have used a few cheap lures that are immitations and none have fished as well as the real thing.

Take Cackalls ® for example (Kokoda G Vibes) they have know where near the detail that a Jackall Bros. lure has nor do they have a good colour range. They have possiblly the cheapest and worst quality hooks which rust after the first use, are easily bent with your fingers, and probably twice as easily bent by a fish (I wouldn't know I haven't caught a fish on one except for a Spangled Perch after I put it on as a joke). I have four in my tackle box and I have used them a number of times and haven't caught a fish on them.

I have a another cheapy lure in my tackle box which I got for free in a sample bag. I also put it on as a joke since the fish were biting thick and fast at Nabeel's Dam. I managed two Bass after doing all the work for the lure. It didn't swim at all and it sunk pretty dam quickly for a floating lure. I ended up just using a jerky retreive since 9 out of 10 casts it didn't swim. I must admit it looked pretty good through the water if you got the jerks right. That's probably why I caught the two fish.

A week or so ago the River was really fishing well. Ando, Tim, Nabeel and I cleaned up on SX40's, CK40's and a number of other Jap lures. We must have caught easily over 150 fish with most being Cod and Bream. As well as the first Brisbane River Trevally I had seen in awhile caught by Ando and a few Moses Perch.

Kokoda have also copied the SX40 with a lure called the Sprog. Also they have copied the Scorpian 52mm with a name I can't remember. Me personally I wouldn't bother.

If you don't want to spend as much as you would with a Jap lure or other lures in similar size to the SX40 then get either a Halco Scorpian in 35mm size or a Halco Laser Pro in 45mm as Gus said. I have had quite a bit of success with these two and they are only around $9-12. Though since buying Jap lures I'll never turn back!

Troy

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2007/01/11 16:10

Brian: Argh those new Barra Lures. Have heard they beat all others. Don't know much about them, don't fish for Barra. I've only got small Ecogear lures in my tackle box and have only read about Bass/Breamlures really ;) . That would explain it.

Dazz: I usually go for a Low Tide session first. Or go for the Low/Run In Tide. Rockwalls in merky water fish best since the bigger fish arn't shy to get right up against the waters edge to eat bait fish.

Troy

Archived