boat lights

bennyl

howdy everyone im in the process of fitting out my 4.2m quintrex dory and im up to installing lights, i have installed the running and navigation lights, i just need some ideas of work lights as i will be doin heaps of night fishing, should i go with led lights any ideas even pictures would be a real help

cheers

beno

mate i am in the process of decking my boat out....my suggestion to u is to go the whole way and install a dual battery system to run all your accesories off with an automatic isolator so you never have to worry about your motor starting battery going dead....as for what cabin lights well all lights on your boat actually, go with leds....they use less power and require less maintenance.

thats how i would do it anyway!

noname wrote:

led's suck. if you want to see what your doing. put in real lights, along with curtousy lights to be left on while fishing.

i must say i have to disagree....there are good quality leds out there that are more than adequate. u couldnt pay me to use anything else.:)

i have a fluro for soft light and 2 work flood lights 55w for my deck and fight lights, they can both be swiveled around to either face on the deck or on the water to bring your fish into the light to see what you got, i all so have led battery round lights from supercheap, they are a good soft light!!! all i can say is i like alot of light for when it is needed night fishing ;) a good deep cycle will last heaps!!!! i have one flood at the back left and one above the charltons sticker, they are full adjustable..

zan0_15 wrote:

noname wrote:
led's suck. if you want to see what your doing. put in real lights, along with curtousy lights to be left on while fishing.

i must say i have to disagree....there are good quality leds out there that are more than adequate. u couldnt pay me to use anything else.:)

are there, what brand are they? where can i get them from. i have tried heaps in my tinnies and found no such thing, all produced a pencil beam, instead of a spread. i too use the 55watt lights mentioned above, and they are bloody awsome. but not practical on tinnies. i'm sticking by what i have said. i have never had problems with batteries going flat, just keep in mind what sort of power requirements are being asked of the battery.

supercheap do a set of lights for $24.95 about the size of a matchbox, they are halogen lights, had 1 in a tinnie and worked quite well for a good period of time, but they will rust if not looked after, just replace with the second 1 in the pack, they are oval shaped 1's .

you can replace the stern and anchor light bulbs with led bulbs to minimize battery consumption from whitworths but if it is a good spread of lighting your arfter just to see what you are doing ,tie knotes find a hook on the floor etc. dont wast your time with led.

you can look striaght at a normal 12v light bulb and its fine but have you ever looked striaght into an led by accednt you get black spots in your vision for the next 5 mins. I cant think of any thing unsafer than this when skippering a boat at night.

hey mate,

i put an 8 dollar flouro either side tucked into the top lip part, think its called the gunwall. to hide the wiring i got some pvc box section from electrical joint and siliconed it in, the flouros are velcro attached with a bit of free wire so i can pull it out and hang it over the side while landing fish, coz with them on everything outside the boat is as black as a bats arse. set up works well but to be honest i use headlamp most often.

buzz... [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/boat_005_AFO-d1e9ebea8c107b7e052b4d4b15ff9642.jpg

Archived