Intro and advice

ThePush

G'day fellow anglers,

Firstly, I'd like to introduce myself. I've rekindled my passion for fishing and decided to take it more seriously. I've let time and opportunity get away from me. Love to flick lures and patiently hunt them but since I moved moved back down from NQ have had pretty mild success due to lack of local knowledge, having to travel further and selling my boat due to expensive motor probs :( However I recently bit the bullet bought a new cast net and landed my first jack on the GC. It had been a long time and I was stoked. Now I can't stop thinking about my next one!

Now my problem is trying to find somewhere locally or on the GC where I won't rip up my cast net to pick up a few poddy's and/or prawns to see if I can't stir up a bit of action. I live on the Bayside but fell a bit lost. I respect the fact people don't like giving away their secrets but I'm not one for clearing a place out. I definitely like the action rather than filling a bag.

If you can help point me in the right direction in any way, I'd appreciate it. Even if anyone would like to PM me.

Cheers

Welcome aboard, been to many years since I fished down that way, but give it a couple of months and the surf will no doubt turn on the tailor!

try around the boat ramps, particularly those with beaches, for poddies etc. There are a few who fish down that way regulary who no doubt will give you some good oil, and maybe offer you a boat trip as well!

We are a pretty friendly lot here.

Weinam creek marina at redland bay is usually quite productive from a boat but you still can do ok from the bank. The boat ramp itself at night above half tide or walk in behind the car park and cast from the mud bank. have a look at low tide and pick your spots where the mud isnt too soft.

At night the jetty at wellington point will yield liveys and small squid.

I dont know too much about tingalpa creek but my prawning efforts there resulted in a destroyed net and i havent been back.

Ray

G'day again. I haven't tried RedlandBay yet but I did give the Colmslie boat ramp a crack. I was there yeaterday and picked a few herring. I kind angler told me that prawns can be caught there, so out I ventured this morning. I got there at around 5 am but not a thing! The tide was at the top I think. Don't know if that makes any difference there. Does anyone know the best time to cast a net there? Live prawns are a gun bait if you can get them.

Cheers

There have been a lot of reports of prawns, looks like we might be going to get a decent season for the first time in a long time.

I am not a regular \"prawner\" so cant give you the goss on the best times, no doubt one of the regular prawners will fill you in.

Archived