hunting yellowbelly

bedehunt

Out there, in still water, live shrimp or yabbies on a handline is a good option. Just set a stick in to the bank, cast out the line, put a little nick in the top of the stick, pull the line tight, insert the line in the nick, drop the handline over the stick. Sit back with stubby in hand watching top of stick for any movement. If it twitches leap on it.

I usually set 3 or 4 lines up like that all the sticks close together, cast out in to the water hole in different directions.

Warning I have had yella's straighten a 4/0 hook fishing like that, you need ot play them a little!

You can also bob for them with a rod. Find an old fallen tree that heads out into the water a bit. Use a yabbie or shrimp, hook it through the end of the tail so it stays alive for a while.

Take a seat somewhere on the log....let the bait sink to the bottom then wind up about a foot. Start bobbing up and down slowly. You can quite often pull a number of yella from the same snag.

Some people bob with a float but I like a line straight to the bottom so I can put the bait just where I want it. Don't let yabbies sit right on the bottom though as they'll crawl into a snag.

If things are really slow, a little tip if your using yabbies is to crush the head to release some lovely natural crayfish attractant into the water.

Pretty relaxing fishing...not as relaxing as Ferals method, thats boil the billy type relaxing which I also love.

Good luck mate.

take a piece of fly screen to scope through the weed beds for shrimp and yabbies and hook them through the body around the 2nd or 3rd segment from the tail so they can still jump around and use the smallest sinker with a rod or hand line. shrimp traps are good for collecting bait which you can buy at most tackle outlets

• 4 weeks later...

hey mate yellabelly is my main species i target so i will tell you what i can. first if you want to use lures small lures about 1-2 inches are always good most colours should work well. also spinner baits are great for yellow belly. if you are not getting any hits keep trying different colour lures and move around casting near snags and weeds.

if you want to use bait crayfish and shrimp are always the favs but if the fish are not bighting on the day you can try worms and also cast these baits out past and over snags.

i hope this helped if you have any other questions just let me know

Archived