snapper/ thready/ jewfish/ combo. (plastics)

aichepee

so basically i have $400 and am looking for a medium, all round, catch everything combo. i had a 4000 sized spin reel in mind and a rod from 6'6" to 7'6"? about 5-8kg and flexy. something to flick plastics and hardbodies for snapper and thready. so far i have come up with a shimano raider light snapper (4-7kg, 7'3", 2 piece) and an abu soron stx40. this seems to come out at about $350. i want have a quality reel with strong drag and smooth bearings as well as a decent length, light weight flexible rod but strong. thanks in advance, aichepee

yoyo wrote:

I think the STX40 will do just fine......

That's why I said 'you may want to have a look.... for some other options'. I wasn't implying what was better or worse, it's just I've used both of those and have no problems, so I thought I reccommend them...

Cowfish13 wrote:

The rod will be fine, but for the reel, you may want to have a look at either the Shimano Saros or Stradic for some other options. About $220 and $250 respectively

cowfish is on the money. the young fella has the raider rod coupled with a stradic 3000. it's been awesome. so far he's caught.. flatties..bonito..whiting..pike..trevally all on SPs or blades. all from the bank so far so not much chance to snare a snapper yet. the rod works real well. i bought it for him (raider) for his birthday..shoulda bought two :)

aichepee wrote:

thanks for info guys but what raider should i get

heavy snapper 7'0" 5-10kg

light snapper 7'3" 4-7kg

regular snapper 7'6" 5-8kg

barra 6'6" 5-10kg

Was looking at a few of these today as i am after a similar combo.

I think the light snapper is the way to go if you wanna flick alot of plastics as well.

Guy in the shop (tackle warehouse) loaded it up and i was pretty impressed with how the tip just tucked right away.....

I asked re the Barra, but the answer i got was that it would be a bit labourious if you want to flick 'lighter' SP's... great for trolling and stuff though..

Another rod i got shown was one of the berkley dropshots, made on an egrell blank, seemed really nice... anyone got any experience/opinion on them ?

I was going to get a new rod/reel for snapper/macks etc, but i think i will just get a new rod for them, respool my ABu 604ALB and put it on there, and get a smaller stradic or similar for the Bream rod...

also i didn't see any mention if he was fishing land based or from a boat, or where, as in the bay you have currents and wind to contend with, different again if anchored up, and how deep? but as he mentioned threadies and jew, i'm guessing the river form a boat. my ears prick up when the word snapper comes up, all the bloody time, and i always think snapper, not squire. and there is not a reel on the market that is as good for these fish as the baitrunner series i believe, plus you get the baitrunner feature as a bonus for the jewies too. so i didn't just babble the first thing that came into my head, i actually thought about the best combo in that price range that would do what the fella was asking it to do, and do it quite well, all apart from throwing plastic's around. not inplying anybody had a go at me at all, it's just a good reliable combo that will last for years. thats all.

rob

noname wrote:

daiwa 12/20lb grandwave, and shimano 4500 baitrunner! can't go wrong.

just my thoughts.

rob

Grandwave's are fantastic. I have a 12-40lb overhead model and its stopped some very serious fish. Don't know what the 12-20lb spin is like but my grandwave aint no plastics rod. Far too soft. Beautiful for floatlining though.

dhess wrote:

noname wrote:

just my thoughts.

rob

Grandwave's are fantastic. I have a 12-40lb overhead model and its stopped some very serious fish. Don't know what the 12-20lb spin is like but my grandwave aint no plastics rod. Far too soft. Beautiful for floatlining though.

very similar dom, very tippy but has grunt when needed. nadders bought 1 off me a while ago, keen to get some feedback from him soon as to what he thinks, i think he thought it was to light for what he wanted, he'll be surprised i think.

rob

noname wrote:

dhess wrote:
noname wrote:

just my thoughts.

rob

nadders bought 1 off me a while ago, keen to get some feedback from him soon as to what he thinks, i think he thought it was to light for what he wanted, he'll be surprised i think.

rob

love the grandwaves rob, i have an o/h one for my other reel and i cant fault it

the one you sold me i paired with a 6500 baitrunner i already had (haha sorry i know you disagree!) and put the 4500 on my gary howard stick. hooked up to a m+ jew on the grandwave soon after you sold it to me and it went very well, was in a tight spot so i had to lock down fairly hard and muscle him away from some pilons and the rod did what it was asked with no complaints. unfortunately the whiting sized landing net i had at the time did not do what it was asked and the jewie never made it into the boat lol

but just for comparison i think the o/h rod is 4-8 kilo rated and i'm running 30lb braid its definately got balls, the 12/20lb version i'm using 45lb mono so go figure lol

Archived