Chasing decent sized fish in the river with livies

sehrguht

I am thinking of launching the boat friday arvo and castnetting some livies, then heading and sitting near the gateway and hoping for a jew or a threadfin, would i be best off using suicide, big mouth or french hooks?

and is the gateway a probable spot? in the deepest water i can find?

If your fishing with livies then fish with livie hooks... They are the circle looking ones.. Just pin them through the scruff of their neck and either float them down or use a sinker and a heavier trace.. There is some good structure under the story bridge. Acouple of good holes and some great Bream territory up on the rocks.. If you sit with a livie in a deeper part your in with as good'er shot as any.

i take 2 livie rigs with me, one with 2 snelled hooks for big livebaits and one with a single hook

i use 6/0 to 8/0 hooks in suicide pattern, i like to use circle hooks on my single hooked rig and pin the livie through the shoulder just behind the head if its a mullet, or through the eye socket (infront of the actual eyes, don't pierce the eyes!) if a herring

havent fished under the gateway but find some structure and throw your livies at it cant hurt to find out ay, let us know how you go

the gateway? i'm probably not the best at info on the brissy river but i did shoot up to the gateway the other day. used to fish there for jew years ago. the pilon that we sat near is now in about 3 metres of water. they have built a 'bank' out from the mainland for the new bridge. i would give the gateway a miss and try up or down river a bit it doesn't have to be far. i sat under the bridge and copped a lot of debris..nothing that bothers a boat but played havoc with the line in the water. i couldn't find much in the river to aim at either. maybe you'd be better at the pipeline or around breakfast creek or even the wharfs..the reports from the guys here also hint at comslie which is pratically the gateway..but if your out a little it might as well be a mile. hope this makes sense. :)

i am planning on fishing the fishermans island area in the kayak this winter. I was wondering if there are any no go zones? I understand there is a 30m rule when fishing near the docks but what about the reclaimed land out the front heading towards mud, is that all fair game?

thanks in advance

Archived