Waterproof Cameras???

Yoodles82

Hi all, well i'm always stressing about taking my good digital camera into the boat/yak for fishing photos, so i thought i'd splash out on a new waterproof one.

So i want to know, does anyone have one...if so, what do you have and what do you think of it?

Has anyone heard anything bad about particular brands etc? Its mainly so i can take it on the yak/boat without worrying if it gets splashed!

All info would be a great help!

Cheers

Nat :fishing:

I have a pentax optio w60. Water resistant to 3metres. It comes with a rechargeable battery and charger. The only flaw is that there is no lens cover to protect it. I keep it in a stubby cooler whether it be my pocket or in the drink holder on the kayak or boat.

I also recommend a lanyard with a float attached to it. They would sink pretty quick, I'd reckon.

i bought a canon ixus70 2 years back and have it paired up with a canon underwater housing, waterproof to 40 metres .. total cost was 290 for cam and 250ish for the housing .. defintely a worthy buy at the time .. i've since upgraded my camera to a canon 400d, but keep the old canon and its housing as my holiday/water/fishing camera

heres a piccy of the housing ... oh and the best thing is .. they float!!!!!!!!!!

/>http://www.camera-warehouse.com.au/p/canon-wp-dc13

I've got an olympus MU something or other. But the one thats waterproof to 10m and 3m shockproof.

Its a little scratched up now but thats coz its lived a hard life. It still works perfectly though. Things my camera has been through:

- 3 hour swim at Waikiki Beach/Hawaii

- a drenching of beer while in my jacket

- run over and olied on by a skimboard

- dropped down a set of stairs

- a whole load of fishing trips.

yeah... they're pretty tough. Only thing is the picture quality isn't as good at zooms as some other ones. But to me its a trade off I'm willing to take for the literal "take anywhere" factor.

If the weather is looking dodgie or doing a high risk activity I use an olympus mu 770sw shock and water proof. Takes pretty good pics as well. Otherwise can't beat a digital SLR. Use a nikon D200 and a nikon D70. You can get water proof housings but pretty damn exxy.

Do$tylz wrote:

I've got an olympus MU something or other. But the one thats waterproof to 10m and 3m shockproof.

Its a little scratched up now but thats coz its lived a hard life. It still works perfectly though. Things my camera has been through:

- 3 hour swim at Waikiki Beach/Hawaii

- a drenching of beer while in my jacket

- run over and olied on by a skimboard

- dropped down a set of stairs

- a whole load of fishing trips.

yeah... they're pretty tough. Only thing is the picture quality isn't as good at zooms as some other ones. But to me its a trade off I'm willing to take for the literal "take anywhere" factor.

haha jinxed me

Sorry, this is a bit of topic, but I find it amusing:

I don't have a proper waterproof camera, but turns out two of my cameras are actually water resistant! :laugh:

I only ever buy the cheapest cam available for fishing. Why not, they are out of date 1 month later and my reputation has shown why below!

The first was my Kodak 4MP Easyshare C433, which got dunked when Charles had issues exiting the canadian (worth about $140 new, over 2 years ago). I pulled the batteries as soon as I realised.

I replaced it (as I thought the Kodak was a gonner) with a Samsung S630 6MP, $70 special. Guess what, first trip with the camera (and first in my kayak), over the side she goes; the damn think slipped out of my pocket. Luckily it was in a foot of water and I grabbed it out quick smart and pulled the batteries.

When I got home, I tried out the Kodak again and it was good as new (a couple months after being dunked, initially there was no LCD). The Sammy would only flash a light at me initially, but like the Kodak it did a Lazarus after a couple of months and I have two fishing cameras again :laugh:

BTW - for cheap as chips cameras, the Kodak even with its smaller CCD takes MUCH better pictures than the Samsung.

fisherjack1394 wrote:

yer well i dont really know but i have heard that some of those waterproof cameras dont really withstnd too much water. but hey i dont really know. i carry around a pannasonic Lumix it was about $120 and i find it works pretty well

dude... whoever told you that .. turkey slap them for telling you fibs :laugh: :P I can't tell you that they'll all be the same, but the olympus Mu's can pretty much be under water all day. It maintains full functionality while under water with no problems. Turning on and off, changing settings, zooming... it does it all.

Do$tylz wrote:

dude... whoever told you that .. turkey slap them for telling you fibs :laugh: :P I can't tell you that they'll all be the same, but the olympus Mu's can pretty much be under water all day. It maintains full functionality while under water with no problems. Turning on and off, changing settings, zooming... it does it all.

Yeah i've seen the olympus mu's, and they do look pretty good. I'm eye-ing off the 10m waterproof one...it would be pretty cool to get some underwater shots!

I'm basically summed it up to 3 options:

Olympus Mu's

Fuji finepix's

Panasonic Lumix's

I was thinking of going for a cheap number, so that it is somewhat disposable if it does get stuffed...but if its going to last a while if i pay more, than i guess it would be worth doing that.

Thanks for the info guys!

Nat

I've had a succession of the olympus cameras over the years, the current one (1030 sw) is the only one that has ever had an issue, it wont focus if on the "mugs" setting, on the anti shake setting though it works fine still. Its about 2 years old and due for replacement.

They are great in both dust and wet environments.Polyphonic had one that would not work properly after a car ran it over. But it still sort of worked!

Looks like olympus is getting the big thumbs up! ;)

I'm thinking i'll get the Olympus Tough MJU-8000...but i might buy it online cause i can get it atleast $150 cheaper.

Unless of course there are any electronics salesmen out there that can do me a deal :P

Before i send my money overseas... :unsure:

Nat

Feral wrote:

I've had a succession of the olympus cameras over the years, the current one (1030 sw) is the only one that has ever had an issue, it wont focus if on the "mugs" setting, on the anti shake setting though it works fine still. Its about 2 years old and due for replacement.

They are great in both dust and wet environments.Polyphonic had one that would not work properly after a car ran it over. But it still sort of worked!

Yep if it had not been for the spare battery being in the camera case and acting as a pivot point as the tyre went over I rekon it may have survived

we have a olympus slr .e420 had it for a year .good bang for buck.

had a olympus fe210 cost 180$ went for a year or so.

was a nice little compact camera 7.1 mp,light ,good zoom etc ,for a compact.

it died at inskip the sand,water and spray etc.

it still turn on but the lens it stuck out ,so turns on then turn off.

the kids used it too .so it did cop a flogging and had been dropped and had more hits than elvis.

but we did get another olympus .

i have never checked if the cameras we have had where water proof or shock poof .

well not as far as i remember .

we have had 7 over the last 8 years.

the only thing i look for is ones with rechargeable battery's .

as i really have the shits with buying battery's for them all the years, cost a fortune.

but there are heaps of cameras with rechargeable battery's in them for under the 200$ these days.

i need to get a camera for the canoe /boat too ,so interesting thread .

my thoughts before i saw this thread and waterproof / shock proof,was to get a cheap 100 to 200$ camera with built in rechargeable battery ,and if i stuff it well who cares ,specially if i get a year and a bit out of it .

Archived