Cyclone Erin hits NPD

Feral

Well with the boys still driving the big porcelin bus yesterday morning, I decided to take the boat for a spin on NPD and take daughter out there for her first trip.

All went well, until 30 foot from the ramp, when she starts digging absolutely everything she can find out of the shelves, under the seats in the esky etc etc. Within about 2 minutes I could not see the floor of my boat!.

Mind you she did turn up a few things I forgot I had stashed in the boat. First few minutes after that were rigging lines with the autopilot on (best thing since sliced bread those things!). Then I turned it off and made the fatal mistake of letting Erin see me use the foot controller for the bow mount.

She claimed it for her own, then proceeded to do circle work all over the dam for 5 minutes until I think poor Barry and his missus were silly enough to up anchor and come our way. Needing a quick solution I suggested we go down stream and find grandad. 40 minutes of high speed weaving later we meet up with Graham and John, had a yarn with then then headed over to see Ray.

I actually managed to get maybe half a dozen casts in at this stage (for some reason had not caught anything trolling up the dam at 6kph).

After getting hit on the head with a lure whilst daughter was casting, she was quickly relegated to a spinner bait (the least dangerous thing I had which might still catch a fish). Moved in shallow to see plenty of fish in 10 to 12 foot of water, but no takers.

As the day was getting on, and SWMBO had declared I had to be home by 12 I headed of, Ray deciding to do the same.

That yak of his has some grunt, he was walking away from me going back up the dam and I was doing 6kph! He was able to get a 5 minute fish in at each turn while waiting for us to catch up. Much to daughters disgust.

Anyway it was central station at the ramp, the 4 or 5 boats that were out all deciding to come in at the same time, so a bit of a yarn, helped each other load up, and we headed home.

The calm before the storm

P6300001.jpg

Ray motoring away from us

_6300003.jpg

Garmin showing on water speed of the Silver Bullet. Not bad considering by replacing a stern mount 55 with a bow mount 65 I got an extra 1.5kph top speed!

P6300004.jpg

And for you young blokes who reckon you'll never find a shag going fishing - here is the proof, all the shags you would ever want just hanging around waiting for you to make your move. :P

P6300008.jpg

I really enjoyed reading that one. Their curious little minds go a million miles an hour hey ? It's fantastic introducing them into something that you find special.

I fish with my young bloke in the canoe and when he casts I lay right back to avoid the trebles. My little four year old girl has just started asking about fishing as well.

Looks like I'll be trying to avoid two lots of trebles flying about my head.

I'll be in a boat by the time she hits the dam so I'll have a bit more room to duck and weave !!!

Nice one mate.

Archived