Slow and I mean slow page loading

Nog

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but I find AFO has the slowest page loading of all the sites I visit. Is it due to the size of the site, the number of users logged in or some other dastardly cause?

I do get frustrated and just log off after viewing one or two threads.

P.S. I have maxed out all my page loading options in windows to speed up things but doesn't make any difference.

Cheers

Norm

P.S. Not normally a complainer but.....

P.P.S Using XP at work (shhhh) and Vista at home (what a dog)

Nog wrote:

I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but I find AFO has the slowest page loading of all the sites I visit. Is it due to the size of the site, the number of users logged in or some other dastardly cause?

P.S. I have maxed out all my page loading options in windows to speed up things but doesn't make any difference.

Cheers

Norm

I concur with Norm on this one, takes at least 20secs to load a single page and even drops out regularly for taking too long. Running ASDL 2+, every net site I visit is super fast except this one. I know of at least 2 other members that have the same issue, but because it's such a nice place we don't like to complain.

Al

Guys as stated in another post we are working on this.

As Webby stated its a balancing act getting it right as its very costly with the volume of traffic we recieve (over 3.5 million hits a month now). This combined with content, images and people looged in can have effects.

Rest assured we are always looking at the best way to operate to ensure the speed and effeciency of the site.

Cheers.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Guys as stated in another post we are working on this.

As Webby stated its a balancing act getting it right as its very costly with the volume of traffic we recieve (over 3.5 million hits a month now). This combined with content, images and people looged in can have effects.

Rest assured we are always looking at the best way to operate to ensure the speed and effeciency of the site.

Cheers.

Angus

Correction I just checked this and for the month of June it was 6,773,569 hits!

• 2 weeks later...

Biggles wrote:

Nog wrote:

Cheers

Norm

I concur with Norm on this one, takes at least 20secs to load a single page and even drops out regularly for taking too long. Running ASDL 2+, every net site I visit is super fast except this one. I know of at least 2 other members that have the same issue, but because it's such a nice place we don't like to complain.

Al

Yep its as slow as on my computer aswell .. every other site i go to is way faster

sometimes its slow .

not very often ,maybe once a week,for a few hrs.

prob cause of a lot of traffic,i would guess.

but most of the time the site is good for me.no problems .

i'm on standard adsl.

most of the time if it's slow or i can't connect ,i find a reboot of my lappy fixes it.

got 2 lappy's and 3 pc,s online here so i always check on another before i reboot.

remember AFO is free to join and use.

so if it's slow or u can't connect .

comment about but don't complain or whinge.

a site is a site.

but people that use the site make it a community.

and remember there is not much that's free these days.

afo could charge to join and for membership every year .then there would be more $ for servers and upgrades to software etc .

then people would probably whinge about having to pay.

well that's my thoughts about it.

Dinodadog wrote:

Catch a few fish Nog and you to will have something to write about ha ha ha, how is the fly fishing for bass going, had a go from the boat out there yet.I must give it a go. Its the 4500 lookers that never write anything that holds it up ha ha

No worries mate, I'll send the tribe over to your joint then I'll be free as a bird :)

Picking up my new (1967) dam boat this weekend Dino :):) So be forewarned, there will be fluff with hooks attached flying all over the place soon.

Norm

Dinodadog wrote:

Catch a few fish Nog and you to will have something to write about ha ha ha, how is the fly fishing for bass going, had a go from the boat out there yet.I must give it a go. Its the 4500 lookers that never write anything that holds it up ha ha

No worries mate, I'll send the tribe over to your joint then I'll be free as a bird :)

Picking up my new (1967) dam boat this weekend Dino :):) So be forewarned, there will be fluff with hooks attached flying all over the place soon.

Norm

alot of the problem imo is that people open up 10 tabs at a time, and possibly hit refresh over and over to try and "speed things up" which does the opposite...

all this added strain on the site will cause performance issues. also as has been mentioned numerous times its a free forum and really provides us with a lot of benefit at zero user cost, so really we have no rights to expect anything regarding performance or anything else for that matter, AFO isn't a business and we aren't clients so angus and co do not owe us anything in the way of performance.

That said, they have always obliged and are treating it like we are business clients trying to keep the site running smoothly for our benefit. so i think we should all join together and give a vote of thanks to the administration and bear with them through server upgrades and poor performance patches like what has been happening, as at the end of the day they owe us absolutely nothing and do a great service providing this free site.

my $0.02,

cheers

Dan

We have changed a few settings over the last day or two which should hopefully make the site faster for everyone. As has been stated we are continuously trying to improve the site and the performance. Thanks for your patience.

cheers

webmaster wrote:

We have changed a few settings over the last day or two which should hopefully make the site faster for everyone. As has been stated we are continuously trying to improve the site and the performance. Thanks for your patience.

cheers

Thank You , the performance has improved greatly .

guys im going to lock this thread - If you have read this far you will understand by now that admin are doing everything they can to make the site proformance the best they can and at times due to server load and some glitches it might be a little slower. Just try to remember that these guys arent the creators of facebook or twitter and arent rolling in it from making AFO but money and time is being spent on the site constantly to get what we have.

• 2 years later...

Archived