What do i need?

rayke1938

when I went for 3-4fters last summer I used 20lb mono, with the 40cm black wire traces from Big W and a small J style hook. the gape in the hook was probably about 1cm, and I used small herring. Obviously you'd want to use slightly bigger hooks (and bigger bait).

I'd probably grab a small amount of 2mm wire (pvc coated) - like half a metre of it, and crimp a 12/0 hook on, then zippy tie some small fresh whole mullet to the hook.

You might think a 12/0 is huge, but when you see a 67cm (to the fork) bully take a 30odd cm mullet and the hook, you start to think 12/0's aren't that big after all.

Now what you don't want is that on 60lb line :sick: [img size=487]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/7_12_2006_Terry_Small_Pup_Mouth_Hook.jpg

post-126-144598407162_thumb.jpg

You know what I agree with Tery here.

For the top end of the river the 60-80lb premade wire traces from Amart are fine. I use the 9/0 red chemical sharpened mustard hooks. Spool with 30-50 braid or 20-30 mono. A 4000 Shamino spin series set up is good enough.

But I always use a stinger hook with 6\" wire to another 9/0 for the other end of the bait.

Anything else is a bit of over kill.

Just don't expect to use that rig successfully in the bay - too light for the terry monsters.

I agree that Amart style traces work most of the time. However i would not be afraid about bait size. As terry said, a relatively small bully has not issues smashing a big bait if it thinks it injured or dead.

One thing though, while the majority of bullies at Kooka are small, i was obliterated by something while fishing from my kayak lasy time. 20lb braid joined to an amart trace and a live bream for bait. I never had a chance!!

Angus

the only thing I would suggest is don't go too big with the hook size. 12/0 would need serious mainline strength to set it properly (okay for big time bay stuff but overkill up the river).

Also aim for 2, even three feet+ of plastic coated wire. I've been bitten off plenty even with 2 foot of wire. I suspect the livies tend to get tangled or something...

you guys are gonna think i'm mad but i've been using a 3kg spin and a 6 kg baitcaster set up three kg line to a 2meter double to a four meter wind on leader of 10 kg

and an 18cm cheapo trace off ebay and 8/0 octopuss type hook. why hy go heavy on the little buggers they are great fun on light gearB)

jeff f wrote:

you guys are gonna think i'm mad but i've been using a 3kg spin and a 6 kg baitcaster set up three kg line to a 2meter double to a four meter wind on leader of 10 kg

and an 18cm cheapo trace off ebay and 8/0 octopuss type hook. why hy go heavy on the little buggers they are great fun on light gearB)

I scored a $100 BCF voucher from work recently so I picked up some 8 pound line and a suitably weighted rod:) Next shark trip I will give it a go. I just hope I don't foul hook one with it lol:whistle:

reef_raider wrote:

wow thats a bit different to my sharking gear jeff.. i use 50lb mainline with 210lb wire leader with a two 10/0 hook rig

i'd use that sort of gear if i was chasing sharks over the 120cm mark but im only after stuff around the meter mark R.R

do it wolfman youl love it:woohoo:

• 4 weeks later...

Only since joining brisbane fishing several days ago have i considered sharking (Bullies). Anyone got any tips on the best place to go to start out if you don't have a boat or is it a boat only style of fishing. I live in Forest Lake (Ipswich) All help would be a appreciated. Cheers

I'm no going to pretend that i'm an expert, but more than half the people on this site don't use boats for sharking and from the sound of all the reports, Kookaburra Park sounds like a good place to start.

Terry: this may sound stupid, but is the 12/0 the single nylon coated hook, or the 2 ganged hooks.

Post edited by: Cowfish13, at: 2007/03/15 21:22

Like I said, I'm no expert, but livies would almost definatly be better, because there are so many crabs in that part of the river that every meaty bait would just be eaten by them.

But don't just listen to me, wait till someone like Jeff, Terry or Werewolf answers your question. Their doing the best at the moment, from what I hear.

Cowfish13 wrote:

Terry: this may sound stupid, but is the 12/0 the single nylon coated hook, or the 2 ganged hooks.

The 12/0 is the larger hook covered in electrical tape.

Cowfish: You're right about the crabs, My eel got chewed up a little bit at the bremer/brisbane river junction :|

I don't normally fish up that way, but others generally use livies or suspend the dead bait under a float.

Bud: Not having a go just a suggestion. As a new question your question would have recived heaps more responses as a new post. Just a though.

As for sharkies, yeah if you just starting out Kookaburra park is the way to go. Or the junctionn.

Plenty of msallish sharks to cut your teeth on.

Remember though they really die off once the winter comes on so get out there!!!

Angus

Archived