Tips On Making Burley

burger93

Hey Mate,

The following ingredients make great Burley..

* Bread

* Bread Crumbs

* Old Bait

* Tinned Cat Food

* Tuna Oil

I also really like to include sand with my burley as it helps it to dicipate in the water as I like to just throw it over the side. Tinned fishy cat food is like 90c a can and you can get a big bottle of tuna oil for $10... Put acouple of kilos of sand in a bucket with a tin of cat food, afew slices of ripped up bread and a swirl of Tuna oil and mix it in real well with your hands and lob afew hand fulls in every half an hour and you have very cheap effective burley.

1kg fresh pillies,

1 X Packet of bread crumbs,

500mls tuna oil, (Don't use the oil if the berly is for Snapper) Snapper are not to keen on tuna oil...

1 X Large can of catfood ( seafood platter ) ( prefer whiskas )

A few slices of bread.

1 empty milk carton, 1ltr.

1 orange/onion bag

how to use

Place onion/orange bag inside milk carton

Mix ingredients together, place in into milk carton, freeze

When ready to use, remove bag from carton and lower into water and with a bit of line/string to depth that suits you, or your burly bucket if in boat.

A 1tr mix weighs approx 1kg and will last you for at least 4-6hrs.

burger93 wrote:

Thanks for that mate will give it ago but as im in a boat will have to buy me self anothr burley bucket as the other night i was out we took off forgetting the bucket over the side and it snapt off .

cheers sean

I've done this before with a big bucket at the Tweed. Drilled holes in it so it constantly had fresh water like a livie tank. Pumped 100 yabbies and jigged 20 herring and threw them in together.. Drove off with the bucket still in the water and it snapped off with lid tightly sealed. My only thought was the herring with constant fresh water and yabbies to feed on might last some time! :laugh:

made a few burley pots in the past and have found pvc pipe with cap 1 end screw cap the other with heaps of holes cheap and can put up with the hard nocks of rock fishing, works grate in the boat

chicken pallets

cat food [sea food platter]

old bait

tuna oil

are all good in burley just depends on what species you are targeting on the day

hope this helps

dan

1 x case bundy and cola cans

1 x Family size pizza

1 x Early morning start for fishing!

Works a treat.... No seriously I use cat food cans, open the can about a 1/3 and peel back the lid... slide a knife in a few times to cut it up a bit. If some little picker fish come and have a chew then all the better as they seem to pull big chunks out and drop them.

Layer pellets from your local produce store, (about $25 for a 20 kilo sack), as your base for your brew, add a bit of tuna oil, any old fish scraps minced up. Make sore it is for laying hens and not meat hens, they are allowed to add extra "Protein" for the layer pellets (read blood and bone and other similar waste goodies)

chook pellets

old pillies

old mullet

crush/mash (old meat grinder is good) the fish and add to some water..add the pellets and soak em over night. when it's right you should be able to make a ball out of the mix in your hand.

make some holes a third of the way up a small washing powder bucket to hang it in the water..let the wave action take the brew out the bucket.

take a few more pellets and pillies if your fishing all day.

you can make heaps and freeze em into blocks..then you can throw the blocks in if in shallow water. if your doing this freeze a rock in it..or add sand to the mix to add some weight.

if your snapper fishing it's hard to go past small cubes of pillies or bait you've caught locally. :)

just a note of caution when buying tins of catfood for your berley mixes,I use seafood platter or chunky pilchards myself,check on the can to see where it comes from,as some come from Asia and like their prawns may harbour a disease that we don`t want in our waters.

cheers

theres a place called ridleys aqua feed that make fish food they put fish pheramones in it among other things if anyone has been to a fish farm some places actually put this stuff directly on there hooks it is located at neon st narangba ph 32033422 im sure if you go in theyll sell you some ,comes in bulk last you for ages,anyway mix this stuff with old pillies, bread and or bread crumbs and tuna oil and i like the idea of putting sand in.cheers

Fellas went out saturday night and for burly usin some of ya ideas i used cat food like 10 tins,bread/crums,tuna oil,old bait,2 cat fish,the ol girls left ova stew hahahha,4 bulls hearts, off cuts of meat all mixed into a bucket and yea well it brought heaps of little fish round but not the sharks ohh well always next time hahaha

Cheers sean

Archived