REPORT: Fishing at MT CROSBY

Go0LiE

Hi everyone,

just want to let everyone know that this continues with my post of the Jack.

22 FEB 07: 8pm til 11:30pm :Fishing At Mt Crosby

-------------------------------------------------

Me back from Mt Crosby, was very quite, decided to bring along 2 yabbie pots to see if theres any yabbies left but no go. about 6 years ago i use to catch eskys full of them. one time i had to bring 3 big eskys because 2 wasn't enough. thats even after we made a camp fire and ate to our hearts content. wish it was like the old times when the dam was still water high. ohwell, thats what we get when it doesnt rain, not only does our water supply gets low. the amount of fishes also start to dissappear from the once lovely green and blue scenery.

back to my fishing report:

had to go to the park area to fish because at colleges crossing there was a sign at the wier. NO FISHING 200MTRS NORTH & 400MTRS SOUTH. :( Not Happy. Anyway, fished on the boatramp. 2 meters from the ramp the only thing i could see is weed :pinch: , not happy when the bait just sits ontop of the weed. didn't get a bite with frozen prawns but luckily i had the pots and caught them long nipper prawns in them. had all up about 10 prawns. after i hooked them up thats wen it really started 2 make me happy. the 1st time my rod went off, it took me about 10mins to pull the thing in. to my surpise, it was MASSIVE! Nearly the size of me :dry: , It was no supprise though when i really saw it. LUNGFISH! let it go since it was protected. Anyway, after that, it slowed down and i only caught 1 Forktail Catty and 2 Eel Tail Catty. All the catties were about 45-50cm long. Let go of the Forktail but kept the Eeltail since my parents loves them. (Very Juicy) :P

Overall, the trip was a waste of time but it was at nite so i'll let you know this weekend when i go in the daytime.

Goodnite to all!

Sounds like a good trip.

I fished off that ramp during the classic last year for about an hour for no luck. Then a bloke decides to go for a swim (despite the \"no swimming - sharks\" signs everywhere), and to my suprise he gets out about 30 metres, then stands up, it was only 2 foot deep!

Mt son had a ball chasing small bream to the right of the ramp, near the edge of the weed bed.

I spent a lot of time with a texas rigged soft plastic working the tops of the weed beds, but got nothing.

actually no camera this time round but i can take pictures of the frozen eeltails, hahahaha

everyone knows how they look right? im to lazy this time.

anyway, tonite, might be going to the goldcoast. one of my cousins friends, birthday party, my cousin wants me and my brother to go. so we will attend but too long den off we go again to fishing. will be a ball. will fish til late again.

Will report, hope to catch a fair few there since i havent been there for a while.

anyway, goto go. bye

Sunday, 25 Feb 07

-----------------

Went to Colleges Crossing at around 2pm for a bbq and some fishing. BBQ was great with some friends and bird watching was also another great thing since theres alot of natives flying around, lots of kookaburras around waiting for a feed. It should be called kookaburra park instead of the one close up north :silly: , anyway, fishing was also fun. walked around abit and saw afew short nose gars so decided that it'll be the spot for fishing since the entrance side was filled up with people and didnt parked around the non-motorized boat access area because it was full. Parked up abit from the entrance where there wasnt much clearance of bushes and trees for fishing. A bunch of us had a gar comp and see who caught the most. at that certain area gars were the only kind that we could get our hands on.

1st cast out, BANG! my friend hooked a fish in less then 10seconds. It was a decent size fish when it made a splash, to my suprise, he had caught a 35+ cm mullet on prawn bait. it was my first time seeing someone pull in a mullet hooked. after that it was only gars we had caught.

One of my friend started to take a walk off by himself, 10-15mins later we saw his red hat moving around barely showing with all the bush that was around and he was at that time across the river from the place we were fishing. No one knew how he got there because we thought there was no track but all bush. anyway, we brought along walkies and he started to shout in the walkie \"SHARKS!!!!\" he had seen a bullie swimming around in shallow waters. In ten minutes he ended up seeing around 3-4 of them.

I started to run to that spot where he was and damn, it was one long trip! there was actually a dirt track that circled all around to the part he sat. Now i know how he got there. while walking had a few stops and saw lots of big mullets swimming around that was around the 40cm mark. even with a castnet, all i would of caught was the weeds since the place was a turn off with weed galore. also saw a bullie that was over the metre mark lurking around but could not catch it when i tried casting there using gar as bait. ohwell, fussy lil bullie. did not catch anything around there so i decided to lure for bream. NO GO also. 2 hours fishing around there i had no bites and my friend had one but it was a miss also.

Went back to the others and now they had around 40 gars and also a pike. they were pulling the gars in like crazy but also missed them and rebaited more then they caught.

Got home around 7pm with 1 mullet, 1 pike and around 50 gars. Overall, enjoyed the BBQ (Very nice and relaxing area), Fishing was ok for beginners (and only if you're going for gars).

Thats my trip so if you want to bring your kids fishing for gars then head to Colleges and head to the upper left carpark and walk down hill. next to the BBQ and information lookout. Thats my 2 cent!

Also, Thats another answer to if there were sharks in the area, I saw it with my own eyes swimming around.

Justin (Go0LiE)

Sounds like a bit of excitement was had eh?

Gar were probably a bit small to attract a shark of the size you saw, but now you know a good shark spot for bigger bait!

Also mate, I dont think that section of the river is tidal anymore, so it means you cant use your cast net anyway, even if you could have found a hole in the weed.

Hey Goolie,

Sorry to rain on your parade but maybe the fact you used to rape the yab population (3 eskies full) 6 years ago has something to do with the diminished population today. In addition why on earth would you be taking 50 gar home. From your recent posts it would seem you can and do fish regularly. You must have a lot of cats!

Yabbies often \"dissapear\" during times of drought. The salt moves up the river and they bury into the mud. This would just as likely be the case as anything else.

While i agree 3 80L eskies would be a lot. They could have been little six pack ones. For three of those of redclaw would not be an unusual number to take. Not having a go, i realise im new, im just saying there is often more to a story. Macca.

ellicat wrote:

Hey Goolie,

Sorry to rain on your parade but maybe the fact you used to rape the yab population (3 eskies full) 6 years ago has something to do with the diminished population today. In addition why on earth would you be taking 50 gar home. From your recent posts it would seem you can and do fish regularly. You must have a lot of cats!

Spot on

ellicat wrote:

Hey Goolie,

I agree, 10 years ago i used to see people bring in eskys full of fish and crabs from the pine river alomost every weekend now im lucky to bring home a couple of fish myself for dinner.

nah, 3 ekies of yabbies were between few people, that means we were lucky 2 have just around 20 each back then. also we ate the gars, total people were 10. thats 5 each.

had fun anyways. i normally go in groups of friends most ov the time. have for fun that way.

anyway, will post more reports next time i go.

Hamish MacDonald wrote:

Yabbies often \"dissapear\" during times of drought. The salt moves up the river and they bury into the mud. This would just as likely be the case as anything else.

While i agree 3 80L eskies would be a lot. They could have been little six pack ones. For three of those of redclaw would not be an unusual number to take. Not having a go, i realise im new, im just saying there is often more to a story. Macca.

Macca , In times of dry seasons,At night ,we would walk down the creek beds & water holes of the creeks running into the fairburn dam at emerald,and pick up REDCLAW as they MARCHED from waterhole to waterhole.Made for easy pickings.

But I agree 3 eskys is way too many to take.

Post edited by: Lozzel, at: 2007/02/26 21:07

Look fella's lets not play the greenie police without all the facts, or at least asking for them. Goolie is a new enthusiastic member, we dont want to scare him off with the heavy handed \"guilty until proven innocent\" routine.

Take limit for Blue Claw is 100 Yabbies per head. If it was redclaw there is no take limit as they are a pest species here, and you would in fact be doing the local environment a favour by taking every single one you got your hands on.

Asking a few more questions, IE \"Gee Goolie, what size esky was that, coz you know the take limit is 100?\" Would provide a gentle reminder to the member,as well as gathering the relevant info.

If you find they were within the law, if you dont agree with the in possession limit, dont harass the member, what they are doing is lawful, harass your local politician that is what they are for.

If they were outside the law, the reminder you have given them in the question is probably sufficient. Anyone who then realised they had accidentally broken the law would not be repeating the act. (I mean fair dinkum Goolie would have been flat out being a teenager 6 years ago)

If someone continually posts they are exceeding bag limits, then that is outside the spirit of the site, and you can then take it up with Angus or John. That is the sort of member we dont want.

So Goolie mate, if you did take over 100 Yabbies per head, dont mate, its not good for the fishery. If you didn't, good on you, if it was Redclaw, who cares how many you took and I hope you enjoyed your feed of yabbies.

cheers

Feral!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/02/27 04:39

50 garfish is hardly an good feed after you have filleted them.

Outside the rivers flowing into the Gulf of Carpenteria redclaw are a introduced species and are supposed to be treated the same as Tilapia.

That is the reason why there is no bag limit on them.

When they were on in the north pine 3 years ago we had 12 pots in and would fill an 80 litre esky and have to put the excess into fertilizer bags. We had to use thicker ropes on the pots as the ropes were breaking with the weight. The pots would be full and there would be another 12 redclaw hanging on thp the outside of the pots.

The redclaw numbers fluctuate with the prevaling conditions. In the north pine they always increase about 2 months after a decent raise in the dam level. It seems to be tied in with the water level and the weed growth as soon as the weed goes the redclaw numbers decrease. Season does not appear to influence their numbers.

You're right Feral - I did assume he was on about the local natives. I did assume he was talking about eskies bigger than a six-pack size (only 20 in each).

I was unaware of the bag limit of 100. Perhaps a bag limit of this size assists the invasion of Redclaw.

Bag limits are great but sometimes I believe we need to take some responsibilty ourselves and not rely on the bureaucracy.

I guess my point is this -

Some people save a bit of each pay packet, some need to be told to save a bit and then do so, some people spend it all. Some people then have a bit to spend in retirement etc and some don't.

So Goolie - don't be offended - we enjoy your reports. When you get a job I hope you save a bit from each pay and don't spend it all.:)

thats ok but people shouldnt assume things until ive posted just that and it doesnt hurt to ask. 6 years ago i was at north pine dam, walked 2km inside and caught alot of redclaws, i dont think i even caught a single blueclaw. i dont think i ever caught a single blue ever!

All im on this site for is to get information for myself and give out information for other people and enjoy whats in here and thats all. as you had notice from all my replys, i hadn't bush bashed anyone on here ever before. if i ever do then you can get me or if i ever write anything wrong as i think i did before then fix me up but just dont assume things.

ellycat: the 1st post, it was ok since you just assumed but all good, the last of your post, you did it again and it does get personal. i do go fishing alot thats because my work hours being met and gives me time to do what i enjoy. i can go on with my life but thats my life and not yours to say how i live. so hope you dont talk what you dont know anymore. It only cost me $5 + petrol to go fishing, thats a maximum of $6. so if you cant afford $6 a day then you shouldnt go fishing at all. takes me a maximum of 15mins to get to the fishing spot and 15mins to get back, my car doesnt take much petrol. if you assume that im poor then its ok since its only you and for one, i dont know you and two, i dont care. if your racist or just someone that likes to think lowly of people then thats who you are. not everyones like that. most of the people on here are very cool and i do enjoy posting and replying.

jeff f: i did say large eskys, back then ive caught lots of redclaws and they were all very good size, they were nearly the size of a lobster, more like being a crayfish then a yabbie and also to be exact, there were 5 of us, and as i said b4 we only had around 20 each but also ate alot of the smaller ones while there with our portable cooking set. there is no way anyone could eat around 80 of them even in one nite, so if they were blueclaws, there was no way for me breaking the law in anyway.

Did anyone would of imagined that there would be a drought 6 years ago? if i remember correctly, i barely knew how to drive and it might of been over 6 years but its around that time anyway. water was still very high and while walking back, the amount of people going for yabbies near the park area of north pine didnt complain when we showed them the amount we got. we went real far because they were heaps bigger then the ones being caught near the entrances.

I can go fishing everyday if i want because my times are very flexable. I can post every report i have but i dont want anyone to raid my posts, only if i do say something wrong without someone assuming that i did.

Good on you Goolie.

Keep the reports coming in as im sure the majority appreciate them.

Not saying you did mate, but if anyone does something wrong you can only learn from mistakes hey. I have been impressed with this site so far as the majority of people seem to point things out politely with the benefit of the doubt before they jump on people. Its good to see. I admit i have done things wrong in the past, but no intentially. Sometimes you simply dont know unless told.

Also as far as gar fish go, up in that area there are no shortage. We used to get 100 for 5 people in a session often. 100 would only just feed 5 people! Remember they stock garfish into dams etc becuase of their rapid breeding cycle. And as for redclaw, well who cares. You should not release them anyway, so if you can get a feed and actually make some use of them, well done!

Look forward to more reports Goolie.

my appologies for assuming the worst justin.

i'm no racist or anything but asians do have a reputation for raping marine eco-systems.this has probably been caused by an unthinking and uncaring few and then the media reports tar all asians with the same brush. i'm glad to hear you aren't one of those responsible for the sort of things i've seen happen in so many places. places that i grew up in and care deeply about.

again my deepest appologies for assuming the worst and stupidly judging a book by its cover:pinch: .

peace brother and good fishing to ya;)

the legal bag limit for say a bream is 30 between five people that is 150 fish only take what you need to feed 150 fish is heaps for 5 people 500 yabbies is heaps for them im not having a go atanyone but just cause there is bag limits doesnt mean you have to fill them or use them as an excuse those gar could come in handy when yopu go to four beacons but i wouldnt know any how happy fishing mates:)

ps i was using bream as an example as it has a high bag limit but most people put em back even if their flesh is so tasty

Goolie,

1. No I'm not racist. Your race has no impact on my thoughts or comments.

2. I wasn't being personal in my second post. You have misunderstood the analogy I gave. I don't care how much you spend on fishing. The analogy was being made between saving money from a paypacket with saving how much you keep when fishing etc. I meant you don't have to spend all your pay the same as you dont have to keep (spend) a bag limit. I hope you now understand what I was saying.

3. Mate, you joined the site on 22/2/7 (5days ago) and completed your profile saying you were an unemployed male. I didn't assume you were not working - you said it!

4. I'm not here to make enemies either - I'm here for the same reason as you and enjoy reading your threads.:kiss:

Ellicat: My deepest apologies, I'm using a scripting tool that automate everything. Its been over a year since ive made an account with any forums, therefore my details might still be wrong. I better fix it up. Again, i take full responsibility for my mistake. :( I'm a qualified baker therefore my hours are flexible and i normally go fishing before i start working at around 2am. :P

I never took anyone as being racist. i also know theres alot of asians that doesnt obey the law. I did once a couple of years back got busted by the fisheries for catching a fish that was undersize. it was a 43cm (Groper?) that i thought was a parrotfish. Even the fisheries told me i was unlucky since it was the wrong type but still gave me a small fine. :( , thats the last time i bent the law.

Archived