Mangrove Jacks in the Brissy River

fishing_hardcore

I have seen a guy post up a pic of a Jack caught in Brekky creek,also seem ones at fishermans Island boat passage bridge, all small in size.

But I seem to remember Fishyman, a user named Dan and a couple of guys catching a huge good looking Jack close to 60cm.

Of course the real location was not disclosed but it was said to be caught in the Brisbane river.

I fish the river myself and have never caught a Jack but I was just wondering if anyone knows vaugely what sort of area that large Jack was caught?

Also the thread stated that the Jack was caught as Bream bycatch on a 2 inch plastic.

This also makes me wonder how the person landed a Jack on light Bream leader?

Also if anyone has any Brissy river Jack pics, put them up.

cheers

I think the fish you are talking about was caught by Kev. To his credit this was a sensational fish and was obviously not the anticipated catch. Im not sure exactly how light he was fishing, or to answer your question if it was "bream" by catch or general river by catch. Jacks in the river are obviously not common but confirmed fish with photo that I have seen include:

Gerty with a 40ish cm Jack from Newstead.

Goolie with a 30+cm Jack from fishermans island.

Kev with the undesclosed monster Jack.

Franco with several 40cm and 50cm + fish from the wharves.

No photo's but highly reliable source:

Mick Fillet with a few Jacks caught as by catch way way up river.

So yeah, not common, but certainly there.

I have often pondered this though. As far as a waterway goes, the Brisbane River has literally 100's of thousands of snags, rocks, ledges throughout. Even a large population of Jacks could hide pretty easily. This added to the fact that there is more than adundant bait, I reckon there would be a few more for sure!

Angus

Angus wrote:

I have often pondered this though. As far as a waterway goes, the Brisbane River has literally 100's of thousands of snags, rocks, ledges throughout. Even a large population of Jacks could hide pretty easily. This added to the fact that there is more than adundant bait, I reckon there would be a few more for sure!

Angus

Yeah maybe they are inadvertantly protected near the mouth by the 30 meter rule.

As far as up river I have had a go at the snaggs with no avail.

It's not the best trying to access snaggs land based.

There are definetly some great snaggs upstream though.

cheers

My theory on jacks based on fishing Hinchinbrook and the Sandy Straits is that they accumulate in creeks and rivers that have direct access to open ocean, deep water and rocky reefs just outside. Great examples of this are the Tweed, Currumundi and Noosa. Although you'll probably find them anywhere, and they do live in fresh, I think you'll be pressed finding them far upstream especially in the Brissy river due to it's interrupted mouth to the open ocean. With big eyes for their size, Jacks are sight hunters, who like clean water that moves regularly. In Hinchinbrook and Kauri creek, the best jacks I've seen caught are at night on live baits fishing dropping tides on the flats and channels as they leave snags and go on the hunt. Just a theory, but I was always keep in mind when trying to locate jacks.

i got two undersized ones unter the rail bridge in bulimba creek

lost a good one boat side at tennyson near the old power station

there is a known jack hole not far downstrean from kooka park and another couple at the junction

there used to be a few caught along the rock wall between the gateway and hamilton

trolling lures prop endangeringly close to the rocks

sorry tybo but jacks dont care what colour the water is

big eyes means they are good hunters in low visability/ light levels

plenty of jacks in the mary and the burrum both are brown high silt load rivers like the brisbane

i agree with you about them roaming at night i've caught plenty in the basin where the canals run into tallebudgera creek including a 7kg monster that took a big live mullet meant for a jew

I'll stand corrected Jeff F, you're probably right. And by the sounds of things if they're up as far as Kookaburra park, then they definitely don't mind a bit of silt. Tallebudgera is another great spot, as is Currumbin and all the canals on the Goldie. 7kg, that is a monster!

Ive been busted off by one casting at a pylon with a big rock next to it, was on 6lb leader and a squidgy pro lobby, got a good look at it as it destroyed me around the pylon. They are around but id say it would be one of the worst rivers in QLD for them, just be thankfull we have threadys, jew, squire and sharks instead.

the canals and semi impounded lakes off tallebudgera ck on the coast fire for huge jacks at this time of year. in 2007 a 12kg jack was taken from the 19th ave lake on a live bream near the drain. and this spot also produces monster tailor to 7kg and giant herring over a meter. jacks have been established i brissie river for a long time. try live baiting up behind ballymore football field at night on the start of a runout tide

• 1 month later...

This Jack was caught in a Brissie river creek on a live mullet at the top of the tide it went 48cm. I have caught heaps of jacks up in north Queensland and in my opinion they are a hell of alot more in numbers but the quality in size is not as big as the beasts encountered in th south east. Most jacks up north and to a lesser extent down here are classed as juvenille as they are actually classed as a reef dwelling species. Once they reach about the 50cm as a general rule up north they tend to venture out to the closer reefs. In the south east however they can tend to hang around in the estuarys and grow much larger.Having lived in Cairns for the best part of 25 yrs and maybe haning caught over 100 jacks there and in the gulf my pb is only 49cm. I am hoping to better this mark in Brisbane this summer and have a plan as to were to go and when to target them. I have caught jacks in very brackish water , dirty and clear, 1ft deep mud banks at night and in even in 60m of water near a reef bommy this was a surprise as it was only 46cm. We use to catch most jacks in the upper reaches of creeks where they go skinny and wind alot giving deeper bends and alot of fallen trees ad snags.Dont be afraid to fish the saltier side of brackish water.I love em, they're certainly my favourite fish. scan0070.jpg

my arsy mate patty got 1 63cm this year, in the brizzy, and was i spewin. last pody mullet too. thought it was a bully like the 1 i caught 5 mins b4, but def not a cod like 5 mins b4 that. damn it i'm still spewin bout it. this is my year for jacks in the brizzy. i know where they are just a matter of gettin there, but have tinnie will crash into things to get there, believe me. :laugh:

rob

A tell tale sign of jack hitting your live bait or strip bait for that matter will be a bump on the rod a 1 or 2 second pause follwed by a rod buckling massive hit. you got to be quick to turn the fish away from structre as they are dirty fighters, if you can turn it after its first blistering run then the battle is half won. This is true maybe 9 out of 10 times. Its true you made need to crash trough a few things to get to where they are sometimes.

with this fella, you could actually hear the line rip through the water, don't think he knew he was hooked, and also pat reconed not much of a fight in him. he was released too by the way. will they school up in similar sizes well hang around the same areas but be roughly the same sizes ?? and bumpin into things is half the fun, so you can see where to clean. lmao.

rob, and thnx ;) jakhunta

used to catch jacks (big cod,flatties and tiger sharks used to gbe there too)in the horizon shores marina off the jetty behind the shops. it's a fuel station now. biggest i caught went 58cm. we would rig up with live mullet the bigger the better. then we'd cast out away from the jetty into the channel leading to the moorings. the mooring would have been 150m away so we weren't fishing any structure as such although there was a weed covered rock/tree limb there too. not very big if you sounded over it but the jacks would head for it asap. magic fishing for em. had a mate who's son used to fish for em for the DPI..he used to go to the river near dreamworld..think it's the coomera. you can get some good ones off the bank around the soverieign islands and under the small bridge there too. i dunno where you get them in the brissy but i have been looking at one or two post here and know other people have caught them in the bulimba creek and around the wharfs. i think there's ore around than people think..bit like the threadies. once someone works em out and tells someone else they'll get a bitmore common i guess.. :)

Franco (a not so active member) has at least 6 pictures of good jacks extracted from under the wharves. However even he concedes it is all a luck game. He just lobs mullet strips or pillies as far under as he can and waits. Bu catch is a lot of cod, squire, grunter bream and jewies (as per his photo's) to get one jack. However I would not be arguing with that by catch hahaha.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Franco (a not so active member) has at least 6 pictures of good jacks extracted from under the wharves. However even he concedes it is all a luck game. He just lobs mullet strips or pillies as far under as he can and waits. Bu catch is a lot of cod, squire, grunter bream and jewies (as per his photo's) to get one jack. However I would not be arguing with that by catch hahaha.

Angus

haven't targeted jacks for a while. used to be a long stint drinking heaps of grog. now there's water police everywhere it can be a long dry wait..lol. we used to use 30lb mono..not much braid around back then..and peeps would say that was too light? i reckon the majority of jacks i've seen caught would be in 2-5m mark. there must be plenty of em under those wharfs. with my experience of them i'd say the marina by the gateway would be worth a chuck. reckon i could live with that by catch too lol :)

jakhunta wrote:

Yes now is definately the time especially if you can get a thunderstorm thrown into the mix.

yep..we used to have a few great nights just before a thunder storm as soon as the weather gets muggy they go off big time. think i'll be getting me gear ready spot picked out see what happens

Archived