Introducing myself!

percula

Hello Everyone

I am new to Brisbane and will be here for about 6 months! I am 25 and a pretty friendly person! The photo in my avatar is of an 18kg Mullaway (i think you call them jewfish) I caught in the swan river in perth! Awesome fish!

I love my fishing so planning on getting into it over here hopefully! All sorts from beach to boat to river to anything. Problem is I don't know anyone, or any spots! So if anyone wants to help point me in the right direction please let me know! Would be greatly appreciated!

I also have a 4wd and love exploring and getting down onto the beach!

Also if anyone ever needs a keen decky, happy to share bait and fuel of course, I would be extremely keen!

Thanks everyone!

(picture attached is beach fishing south of perth for some tailor) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_1513__Custom_.JPG

Post edited by: percula, at: 2007/03/06 19:27

post-990-14459840828_thumb.jpg

well you picked just the right time for tailor well a bit early anyway they run up and down the south east coast chasing bait and the current ussually from april but they could be abit late this year as most things seemed to have started late traditionally speaking

Hey Pecula welcome - you sound pretty mad keen so you'll in real well. Look forward to your future posts.

Have you done much fresh water fishing? Me myself have been doing too much and need a salt fix.

Nice Jew in your arms and yeah that's what we call em, or me at least.

Welcome to the site percula!

There's plenty of options around Brisbane, ranging from 'stinking' catfish to sharks, jew, snapper (well, squire) and threadies, all in our Brissie River!

Then there's other options, like beaches or one of our islands like Moreton and Stradbroke. Sure is plenty of fishing options mate!

Where abouts in Brisbane are you located?

Brian: anytime you need your boat towed Brian, give me a msg eh?

G'day mate, as well as checking the events calendar, its also worth checking the \"Going Fishing\" thread in the forum. Most times people post what they are doing and where they are going, they are open to company.

For example i know there will be a fair few trips going on in April.

Failing that you can always start a going fishing thread of your own :)

In regards to locations, i could list 100. However its prob worth haveing a good look through the reports and sorting out exactly what type of fishing your after.

Cheers.

Angus

Thanks guys!

I am located North of Brisbane, near Zillmere, and maybe soon Scarborough.

Is Moreton bay a good weekend trip to do, I see the ferry is about $170 for cars, so could be an expensive weekend?? Can't wait to get my car (4wd) so can explore a bit more!

Also, how far north do you need to go to find some barra?? I know of proserpine dam...is that the closest? And how far is it?? Looks like a fair drive!

In perth I usually chase mullaway, tailor, dhufish(similar to your pearl perch i think), snapper, salmon in season, and whatever else I come across. Tried to catch dolphin fish this year out at the fads but no luck, even though they were jumping around the boat! :( but thats fishing! Also love tuna and maackeral fishing, can't beat that for excitement!

Cheers!

Yeah i think the closest is Monduran?

Althought barra are occasionally caught in places like the noosa river, you havea much better shot going to a stocked impoundment.

Noosa River is a good fsihing spot in general though.

Also out very own Brisbane River features Threadfin so there is not a huge need to travel :)

Angus

Closest wild Barra, is very occasionally Noosa River, Mary River definitely, Lenthalls Dam is closest impoundment.

I'd go Bribie Island first for a look if you want some beach fishing / traveling in your 4be, small permit fee, no other costs (Bribie has a bridge, so no barge costs)

yes i suggest bribie too...then you could pick me up on the way.;) .as i live near there and never gone north up the beach.....;) i hear its common to get longtail tuna off the beach if ya head towrds the northern end....fun fun that would be....welcome to the site...keep us posted on your catches:)

jimmybob wrote:

yes i suggest bribie too...then you could pick me up on the way.;) .as i live near there and never gone north up the beach.....;) i hear its common to get longtail tuna off the beach if ya head towrds the northern end....fun fun that would be....welcome to the site...keep us posted on your catches:)

longtails on bream gear?:P your nuts

nah oztrav- on surf rods armed with metal slugs...thou i have been spooled by a longtail near red beach using a little baitcaster while chasing flathead...saw a school bust up just in casting reach....i reckon it took a whole 2 seconds and i was walking home with a empty spool....amazing:pinch:

Tuna off the beach, now that would be cool!

Thanks for all the replies guys, when I am going fishing I will let you all know so if anyone wants to come and be a guide, thatd be awesome!

Bribie is sounding the goods, how much is the permit fee??

Oh I can't wait till I get my car, there is soo soo many options around here!:) :) :)

I was talking to a fella tonight who was fishing over at Scarborough, says that he recently caught a 100cm+ barra on a live mullet bait at Coochin Creek ( near the Glasshouse Maountains ). He showeed me the tail - was using it in as crab pot bait...very impressive. That is about as far south as I have heard of barra close to home. They are out there, just got to be in the right spot at the right time!

Archived