Hi from a newbee and my first attemp at sharking.

dhess

Hey everyone, after recently finding this site it inspired me to try going for a fish in the Brisbane River. That afternoon I bought a cast net and despite me being an absolute spastic with it still managed to catch a few mullet. :blush:

A friend and I went down to the bikeway at Teneriffe with a few drinks last Friday night in the hope of catching a bullie. We had a few live mullet and some frozen mullet for bait.Within half an hour we were onto something. My friend ended up pulling out a pike eel well over a meter in length. It took a whole live mullet around 25cm long. He then caught another 2 eels on the not so live remains of the mullet. I had a good bight on live mullet but didn't hook up. Not much later I pulled in a pike eel approaching 1.5m. It actually put on half a decent fight. Had several more runs which failed to hook up.

We were using 20lb mone with 80lb coated wire with 6/0 hoodlum hooks. We were fishing in about 8m of water (verified by depth sounder from a friend's boat a few days later). We were using a smallish sinker to overcome the current.

We had a great night. I can't believe that in 7 years of living on the river I haven't had a go earlier. (I can literlly cast a line a bait into the river with ease from my balcony.)

Any tips on rigs, baits, fishing times etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

G'day mate.

As far as river bullies go its sounds like you had a more than reasonable set up going there.

One thing though, we often use heavy sinkers, sometimes in the deeper water up to 16 ounce snapper leads!

This is not overkill as the current in the river is very very stront.

Were you using a 2 hook rig? It helps to optimise the chance of hook up. Also make sure the points of the hooks are well presented.

The only other advice i can offer is to maybe peruse some fo the other reports in the \"Brisbane Rivers and Creeks\" section of the reports and see what you can pick up.

Also check out the hints and tips section.

Angus

With the mullet it doesnt make to much of a difference.

They are sturdy fish.

Also dont be afraid of large baits.

Some of the best little bullies we have got from the river have been on Luderick up to 40cm. Just ask Jordan and Troy.

As for herring etc they are a little more fragile.

But using a paternosta rig (sinker on the bottom) they seem to last long enough. Well long enough for something gulp them anyway.

If your using wire though i would keep the sinkers above the hooks.

Angus

Post edited by: webmaster, at: 2007/03/07 19:07

dhess wrote:

Hey everyone, after recently finding this site it inspired me to try going for a fish in the Brisbane River. That afternoon I bought a cast net and despite me being an absolute spastic with it still managed to catch a few mullet. :blush:

We had a great night. I can't believe that in 7 years of living on the river I haven't had a go earlier. (I can literlly cast a line a bait into the river with ease from my balcony.)

Any tips on rigs, baits, fishing times etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Dom

Here's a tip. Get the heaviest hand line you can find (at least 100lb), grab one of your mullets, tie a rock to the hook and throw off the balcony. Then leave the hand line on the balcony or next to your bed and when it goes off have fun pulling in the monster.

Brian D wrote:

Here's a tip. Get the heaviest hand line you can find (at least 100lb), grab one of your mullets, tie a rock to the hook and throw off the balcony. Then leave the hand line on the balcony or next to your bed and when it goes off have fun pulling in the monster.

Sick - you guys are sick - and you are trying to polute a new members mind. Shame on you.

Here's another tip - if you do get the cyclist keep the blood for the burley trail.:evil:

Sorry Dhess I didn't realize you had a road between you and your playground. You might need to take your deck chair and stubbies accross with you.

Archived