Lake Awoonga

Brian D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome back Ray - nice to have some maturity back on the site;)

Mate that battering ram won't bother me cause you'll spend most the time on the side of the highway putting trailer wheels back on! (ouch):P

While I'm being a smart arse, I know away to raise the water level in the dam, get Feral to ride his bike down the ramp. :woohoo: :blink:

Huumppff I am offended! (not)

Got myself some more plastics at the Kmart sale today, the rotten Barra better eat some of em!

Rays off again, so was not back for long. He has gone up to my sisters as Esk until Friday - supposedly for her birthday, got nothing to do with the proximity of the Dam and my brother in laws boat. Apparently.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/01 17:28

I have decided to follow through with Angus's sugestion, I am off to Kmart again (should have thought of it yesterday while the sale was on!) to get myself a kilometre of Jarvis Walker finest 40lb mono line (you know the top shelf $6 a spool, 1/2 inch diameter stuff) to put on my Alvey 650, and will take my surf rod.

Ray is going to supply Alex and my heavy duty reels and braid (and Barra rod for Alex), bit nervous about that! Ray's probably had them sitting in the bottom of the cupboard since his last trip to Awoonga in March! I want \"Feral's Barra Buster\" (my new rod) to catch a big un!

Therefore I think Ferg's first evening at Awoonga will be spent servicing reels! :whistle: (he is a whiz at that sort of thing and I am currently in denial about needing reading glasses at the moment, so servicing reels is not in my current repatoire!)

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/02 08:16

Oh my god its painful reading these posts.

Im going to have to at least get out on a dam and catch some bass while your gone.

Take lots of pictures please!!

We could even do an Awoonga Week article as opposed to a generic fishing report.

Im sure if someone was willing to add the contect and everyone chipped in some photo's it would be worth the read.

Angus

Painfull because you don't like our humor and writting style or just pianfull cause your not coming :P :P :P (more pain).

Why don't you have a go at Noosa - Do a day trip to the Aussy Barra Farm like we have been chatting about. I know I would feel better for you guys when I'm catching metre plus barra daily if I knew you where at least practicing at Noosa.

How many metre plus are at Noosa I wonder:evil: :woohoo: :sick: haaaaaaaaaaa

( I know - sin bin for Brian)

From memory, they have 1 (one) metre plus fish in there, but you get a cash prize if you catch it.

Dont feel bad Angus, you go play in the toddlers league this year (Aussie Fishing Park), with the girlies:kiss:

You might get promoted to the majors next year. :evil:

Oh yeah its nice of you to offer to go out and catch us a few livies on the dams Angus, but I cant think of a way to transport them to Awoonga?

(Geez Brian we had better get some decent fish, or I reckon the payback on our return is goiing to be with extreme predudice!):dry:

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/02 12:22

Yeah Brian,

I've Been talking with Ferg this morning, and looking at my modest collection of about 2 wheel barrow loads of gear, and what Ferg says he is taking, I can see why it will be good to have lots of spare room in the cabins! We will need it for all the gear we are taking!

Are you planning on keeping any fish to take home Brian?

Ray will be for sure, he and Graham will probably take a couple of freezers. I was just wondering what the h@ll you use for a kill tank for a 1m plus barra! I'd have to fold one that size in two to fit it in my esky full of ice!

I finished spooling the alvey with the 35lb line this morning, I tell you about half way through taking the 12lb line off, \"Angus\" was being referred to in a rather uncomplimentary manner - (it was his idea after all!) ever tried to hand wind 1km of 12lb line off a reel by hand?

I have been checking out my gear, and I am happy with my plastics collection, just got to get some wire traces, only got 10 kilo ones in my gear, gotta get some 20 or better (for using with the alvey) maybe another pack of 10/0 mustads (for livies) and some 1/0 and 2/0 (wide gap) mustad big mouths or gamakatsu Shiners for live baiting with shrimp.

Found the Big W at Stafford sells my favorite Mustad big mouths for only $2.80 a pack, most other places are around $4.50, so I will be going bacxk there! Will probably have to hit Amart for the Gamakatsu's they are the only place I have seen them for a reasonable price.

Hey Feral

As usual I got a laugh out of your post. - thanks.:laugh:

I am happy to leave some rods at home if we don't need em - I just picked the ones I thought we need. So please advise. That's why I posted the photo - I am a hopeless \"over packer.\":blush:

I have permission to get a metre + barra cast moulded and mounted so yeah if I get one it's coming home. I kinda hope the local tackle store can sort that out. :whistle:

I am also under instruction to bring home heaps of fillets. I have an 120 lt (850mm long)

thermal ice box in the boat that would keep things cold on the trip home, if packed in ice or frozen. So what I bring home wil be filleted unless it's perfect pan size. :cheer:

Thing for me is, every day at work I get my lunch delivered by a chef - if I never see another barra fillet and salad again ever I will be happy. But I plan to \"pay for the trip with fish blessings\" for friends and family. Know what I mean;)

Well Brian,

Between my son and I we are bringing probably ten rods. My motto, if you can fit it in, its going! :woohoo:

So Brian if both you and Ray are taking home fish, we will have to make sure all three boats have decent eskies and ice, as it is the closed season there is currently a \"one in posession per person limit\" so I dare say we will move fish around the boats to take account of the limit. IE five adults means five big fish per session, I dont know if Alex counts, so it might be 6 allowed between us.

cant see a stubby cooler anywhere do you plan to drink your beer before it gets hot?

Graham is bringing 2 X 40litre engels plus a 40 litre esky he carries in his boat. I will be bringing 2 X 60 litre ice boxes plus another for the beer.

PS i still have the 80 litre tropical ice box for sale if anyone is interested.

I have just got rid of the 10 inch alloy rims on my boat trailer and replaced them with 13inch holden rims now it looks like i may have to change the springs to one tonners if feral brings along all his stuff.

ray

Hey Feral can you do a clever weather thing and see if it's gonna rain while we are at Awoonga.

I am thinking of taking the Binimi and clears - but only if it's gonna rain.

We could troll all day and stay dry if I put the lid back on.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/11/08 18:21

I'll have a look, must have a link fo r7 day forcast somewhere.

See the post I put up on the fish head sale? might be able to get some last minute things, I will get ray to get me some jig heads and extra plastics I think.

I've got your mobile number, and you have mine I think.

When are you heading off Brian? Your going to rough it for a day or day and go early I think was your last idea.

More stories on Ausfish about the bloke at Awoonga double and triuple booking people, so if you end up homeless you know where to come!

Brian cant find anything further out than the 4 day forcast as found on the weather tab, looks like rain clearing sunday.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/08 19:02

Thanks mate - adopting your aaproach - if it fits it goes - I think I'll take the lid just in case.

No I didn't see fish head sale - does he have a black sheep on sale? _ I'll find your post.

I am leaving either Sat or Sun - depending when I get my 6 month Fin Reports finished for work. I will be packing a full size mattess in the back of the car so I can pull up anywhere.

I still got you number (I think - I'll check when I find my phone).

Not long now!

Brian,

Have already sent my list to Ray for the Fish head sale! :P

I have been boning up for the Awoonga trip.

I cant find where it says the limit is 1 per person in the of season, it seams to say 5, but I could be wrong, must check when we get out permits from the rangers!

Also I notice that the Gladstone Hatchery sells southern strain Barra fingerlings, various pricing for various sizes and amounts, but I notice you can get a minimum of 100, at $1 each. I remember you were chasing a supply of them a while back, this trip might be a good oportunity to get them if your still interested.

According to website, Permit for the boat in certain areas required, it is free from the rangers. Plenty people telling me not required, so web site obviously out of date!

Well Ray has dropped the boat at my place, and I am industriously attempting to fill it to the gunwales.

Chucking the 55lb electric in, 12 rods, extra reels, 3 eskies, spare wheel, spare hub, spare life jackets, downrigger, extra fuel tanks, 100ah deep cycle battery, swags of food, shrimp traps, 3 tackle boxes, fishing bag, half a dozen spare 6volt batteries etc etc etc.

getting excited! no reports from Brian yet, hopefully he is sussing out the good spots for us to seagull in on!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/11/12 14:48

the ultimalte insult

what to you think of a person, who after you have spent 3 days busting your guts trying to catch a barra,

! asks you to take a photo of them with a monster barra.

2 asks you to fillet the fish

3 asks you to cryovac the fillets for them to take home

4 asks you to cook the remainder for lunch.

Good thing he only caught one.

Ray

ps no fishing this arvo its blowing like buggery.

maybe i will get my own back tomorrow.

Well some holiday - it was bloody hard work.

The first day gave me 1 hook up while trolling between spots. But lost fish due to I thought I had it under control so I started pulling in the other lines and it took off again cutting the braid on a submerged stump.

Lesson learnt - stuff the other lines - deal with the fish on the line.

Also picked up a catty - woopie!

Spent the next 6 days dedicated to casting until I developed tennis elbow. Submitting to the proven method I went back to trolling and hooked 2 fish in 2 sessions.

One 75 and 1 78cm.

Came home buggered but loved it. I'll be going back before Christmas I hope.

as brian said hard work and a long time between fish but you only need to get one hit to make it worth while. its very addictive and not too expensive. the trip only cost Graham and myself $400 per head for petrol and accomodation and food ( $385 for cabin,$350 for fuel rest food). Admitedly we took 6 prefrozen meals along with us and had a couple of fish meals and on Sunday night the caqravan park put on a free sausage sizzle. We used a bit more fuel as we were in a v8 cruiser (17l per 100k) and travelled to the park from beneraby each time. We only used about 40l of fuel in the boat as grahams 25 yammy 4 stroke is very economical and most of the time we were only trolling at idle.

I didnt factor in the price of booze as that varies between people our consumption was 4 slabs plus one bottle of home brew scotch and 3/4 bottle of home brew rum.

Our cabin at willowfrove van park was quite comfortable but we had to use van park showers and toilets.

There is a new facility called awoonga gateway cabins that is about 4 k closer to the dam ant they are brand new. Brian was their first paying customer and we dropped in and checked them out. They are fully self contained with reverse cycle airconditioning and we will stay there next time.

ray

• 4 months later...

Just a reminder - I have 2 cabins booked in Oct 07 at Gateway Cabins 5 mins from the Dam so if anyone is interested in a Awoonga trip this year just drop me a note. So far it's only Feral and myself - which is OK but there is room for others if you want ot come.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2007/03/23 08:59

• 4 months later...

Archived