Lake Awoonga

Brian D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That makes 3 keen fisho's people.

Feral / Angus do you guys intend to travel with me or take your own car?

I can take 4 people in my car, so if Angus and Feral are in my car that leaves 1 more spot.

First in gets to go fishing.

Lets see What do we need to get organised?:

When is best time, For how long and What Accomadation,

food and beer, back up petrol for boat, lures, traps and toilet paper.

There the necessities. Do we need luxuries?

I will start researching today. Does anyone hav any hints and tips?

Edit: Feral I have checked with my minister for \"War and Finance\" and she say \"yes\" but I think after 25 years of marriage she is happy to get rid of me for a couple of days so she can play the pokies quilt free.

Try Chocolates, Flowers, cash bonuses, dinners dates or anything. Mine likes ornimaments, and magazines.

(Truth is that my wife is a great girl and very happy for me to have fun.)

DO NOT make multiple posts. If you want to add something more to the thread and no one has responded since your last post, then EDIT your last post! DO NOT make another post.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/28 11:37

Brian i have about 10 Red Claw Traps.

I dont mind taking my own car but would it be easier with one?

Also as far as accomadation, im not picky. Ill sleep anywhere if it means catching big Barra.

I guess ill have to get an SP outfit with some heavier braid!

I saw some great pics of Awoonga Sooty Grunter and Yellow Belly as well.

When are we thinking for this trip?

As an accountant I can't help myself, I am going to have to work out a budget.I will keep all costs down wherever possable.

As to when I reackon that if we want before christmas we might have to tent it cause the place is pretty heavily booked. I will investigate.

I got so excited about big barra that I went out and bought a new deep lure and popper today but I doubt very much that I will wait to use them.

Edit:

Prices for caravan park are.

Bunkhouse

Ensuite, single room, no facilities

$34.00 - $40.00

Room Only

Deluxe Cabin

Fully serviced with private bedroom and ensuite

$75.00 - $87.00

Room Only

On site van with anex

Caravan with anex

$43.00 - $50.00

Room Only

Standard Cabin

$57.00 - $67.00

Room Only

All in one room, fully serviced with ensuite

I have asked for 4 rooms 16/10/6 - 23/10/6 I'll see what comes back.

Thought this is best fishing time prior to breeding season! Does anyone know any better.

/>http://www.about-australia.com/travel-guides/queensland/gladstone/accommodation/caravan-camping/lake-awoonga-caravan-park/

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/28 19:37

Feral that was just what I wanted to hear. I have 1000 questions but let me start with just a couple.

Where is the best place to stay?

When is the best time to go?

Is there petrol readily available?

What bait, plastics and lure?

Edit: I was thinking about 5 - 7 days including travel.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/28 19:30

• 3 weeks later...

ill b going :)!!! i have 2 rods perfect for barra... also i have handlines...

we cannot go up there without opera house bait traps... since you not aloud to use cast nets and the rest of it opera house bait traps are the only way to catch live bait...

have fun dave... i bet i get a barra bigger then your sharks...

troy

Thats alright with me.

I will let all my barra go (assuming i catch any) and maybe just keep a 40-50cm as an eater. Apparantly that size range is better tasting. But yeah ill be there for the sport anyway. As for the BRC, i dont know does having this close to the BRC affect anyone adversley?

Remembering the BRC will be held almost 100% over the 1st 2nd 3rd of December now.

Which is a Friday Saturday and Sunday.

Angus

Feral - love your work mate. I say Cabin.

Lets say I look at booking a cabin for 7 nights from Wed 15/11/6 to 21/11/6. That way people can came and go to suit. IE Feral you could say book a bunk within in the cabin for just the 4 nights. Hell I don't mind sleeping in my car or boat or having the cabin to myself for a few nights. Can captian give me the contact number so I can check availability and berths in the cabin.

As to catch and release - it's fine for me cause the fish I catch are going to be so big that 1 fish will feed a family of 6 for a week!

As to close to the BRC comp - I say that the people who go to Awoonga will be so amp'd up that it may work in the favour of the comp. I know I will still fish the comp as I want to weigh in a big fat shark.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/20 16:38

haha... good luck keeping a barra at that size gus... legal size is 55cms full length.... :P 40cms is smaller then the barra in my tank!

i would like to get as cheaper accomodation as possible... im guessing if we book a cabin for a few people and split it, it will turn out cheaper.... im assuming this is what we already have planned?? slot me in anywhere im needed :)

cheers, troy

Yeah Troy im under the impression that impundment barra have n or very different size limits. As with famred barra. Most bara you buy that are farmed are like 30-40 cm. Hence the tiny fillets,l but better taste.

Oh well if they have to be bigger itll be a shame settling for a 1m fish :P

Angus.

they had to be 55cms at monduran... but they encourage you to keep 1m plus ones so the fingerlings will survive

yeh farmed ones can be any size since the people who grow them can decide... 30-40cms is the size ther normally eaten at cose it tastes best and its before the fresh water ones start tasting muddy...

also you will need a permit to fish the dam if your over 18...

troy

Post edited by: blue_mako, at: 2006/07/20 20:23

Sounds good but not much chance of me making it, not sure bout size limits but the get pretty friggin big in those dams hence most fishos use big lures on powerful rods, 10-20kg with a reel that can lock up 5kg+ of drag, also 50lb braid for abraision resistance and 80lb leader, but then again the fish couldve gotton bigger by now.

Tom

Feral - again thanks for your help.

I have booked a self contained cabin at the lake Awoonga Caravan Park from 13th Nov to 17th Nov. That's all I could get - 4 nights at $75 per night with air con, pretty cheap.

That's not long enough so I will be looking for somewhere else to add a couple of nights.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/22 10:22

Feral - I don't know who's coming at this stage but I know this - I'm going for sure.

I went through my fishing mags yesturday and pulled out 19 mags with Awoonga articiles.

The research begins. It is not my intention to reinvent the wheel, however my plan is to merge some tried old methods with cutting edge stuff.

I am also going to refine my boat with electric motor, casting platform, down rigger and what ever else is needed. so watch the boat section if your interested.

That's great news Feral and mate I am up for the red claw for sure. I luv playing with traps and nets.( I know - no nets on the lake)

I can take 3 in my car if anyone wants to come, but If I can only take 2 in the boat it would make the numbers a bit odd. So if you want to come let me know asap and we can get things sorted.

Cool Troy - I can't wait. I have been doing so much research, all I want for christmas is a big bloody barra or 5.

By the way I am still looking at other accomadation cause I was hoping for longer then 4 nights but the cabin is booked for sure.

Cool Angus - Boat is full now BD Troy and Angus. But that doesn't mean noone else can come. If you realy want to go we'll find a way to sort it out: for example I can fit a canoe in the boat or on the roof so if someone has one and wants to come that maybe an alternative. Barra from a canoe - how cool would that be.

I will keep costs down to minium cause I am going to spend all my money on lures, reels, rods before I get there!

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/24 16:30

Brian,

did you get that PM?

Anyway looks like everyone else is lining up for the first week, so thats when we will go as well.

Probably 2 boats coming with our party, so probably 1 spare seat in a boat available.

Edit : -

Just spoke with the captain.

He is booking us in for 7 nights from the 12th. (apparently you pay for 6 nights you get the 7th free). That puts us there a day early of you Brian, and 2 days afterwards. If I leave early, (after 4 or 5 nights) I am sure the Captain would welcome a bit of company for the last 2 nights if you want to stay longer.

Details as follows

looks like the only accomadation is either a tent site at awonga or a basic cabin at willowgrove motel at benarby. the cabin is 2 bedrooms and will accomadate 5 adults . one double.one single and 2 bunks its 61.50 for 2 adults and alex. one of my mates graham, is interested in coming along he will also bring along his own boat 3.9 metre tinny well set up, seats colour sounder etc with 25hp 4 stroke so if one of the group is looking for a seat in a boat he could come along.

Also my oldest son is wanting to go, so rather than say no, because I believe he will be bored senseless for that length of time, we will do a weekend trip with him before november, probably out to Glen Lyon for a weekend. If he passes that test, then we will let him come to Awoonga for a week!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/07/24 19:08

Roll Call so far for week 13/11/06 (copied over for new page)

Definates

Brians Cabin at Awoonga 1 Boat full, cabin full

Brian

Blue Mako (troy)

Angus

Big Dave

Feral and Co's cabin at Willows Motel Benaraby 2 boats? possibly 1 seat in boat / 1 bed still available

Feral (Andrew)

Rayke1938 (Ray - aka \"the Captain\"!)

Alex (my 8 yo son)

Graham (mate of the Captains)

Expressed interest

Ando 04

well the captain is going have booked basic cabin at willowvale van park from13th till 20th november. Last time at awonga last year stopped in on site van at other park in benarby and it was a bit rough. airconditioner had death rattle and could be heard 3 vans away and top bunk unusable.

no redclaw or shrimp at all then but may have changed would check out before going as redclaw pots take up a lot of stubby space.

be prepared for long steep uphill walk from boat ramp to carpark particually in busy times when lower park is full and have to use upper level park

if you have a disability sticker see the rangers and they will arrange access to ramp near van park where parking is much better

the van park is a couple of kays from other ramp and benarby is about 12 kays away

kiosk at van park has a good range of lures and will tell you whats working

i am not an expert we only caught 5 barra betweem 800cm and 1100cm over 5 days all caught trolling around main basin with halco crazy deeps.

used calcuttas spooled 40 lb braid and 50 lb leaders with no problems.

take a strong landing net preferably large mouth and handle reinforced with smaller diameter tube up handle

have never had a p[roblem with muddy taste in any freshwater fish i always bleed and chill on catching, skin and fillet and most importantly remove fat from fillet. - it can be readily seen when fillet cold.

not trying to teach grandma how to suck eggs just hope this may help

rayke1938 - thanks for the first hand report and info. If you have anything else I'd love to hear it.November just can't come quick enough.

Good news about calcutters and bad news about the red claw. And the walk - No not for me, I'm the boat captian, the deckies will have to do the hard yakka.

OK, but Jordan our car is full, do you have room Brian? or is anyone else driving?

No one has posted an objection to my earlier suggestion of adding this as an event, so I have done exactly that! :whistle: (and pur Brian down as the contact, as it was his idea!)

Also I reckon we will have to organise a couple of social meals gatherings etc for the period (otherwise we will just miss each other except for coming and going at the ramps!) Perhaps as we will be their a day earlier than Brian and co, we might organise a bit of a sausage sizzle for the late afternoon / evening of the first night, before we go out for a communal fish that night?

Archived