tagging fish

Jordan

hey all, i was wonderin if anyone on the site had any knowledge on tagging fish. im really really interested to see if the cod in particular, are the same ones im catching over and over or if there is just a really large number of cod in a small area. is there anything as simple as a bit of paint or stapling something to the fish? (in a non painful way) as i honestly believe i havnt caught the same fish twice yet, and would really like something to proove my theory.

jordan

hmmm been doin a little bit of reading into the whole tagging thing. they say you gotta write down a whole heap of detalis like weight and length n stuff. sounds like a pretty timely process. im finiding it over timley trying to get the hooks out of a well swollowed lure, epecially since its only worth fishing for an hour a day, i want to have my lure in the water for as long as possible. im thinking i mite just take a hole puncher and do the tail fin or something. since all they do is generally just sit under a rock i dont think it will affect them 2 much. does this sound wrong or brutal?

http://www.daffa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/6079/rfcgp_tagging_guidelines.pdf

think thats the one i was readin b4. i was hoping there wouldnt be any nerves in the tail, since theres no meat there, and since they dont do alot of swimming, it wouldnt affect them much. anyone else have anything against it or and oppinion on it? i'd like to have a few oppinions before i go ahead and try it. ill probably only do it on the 40 cm plus fish.

what do i do to get them? and will the DPI really be interested in common species such as cod and bream?id really like to get into the tagging stuff, and when i thought about what elliecat said yesterday after i winged about it taking to long, im pretty much taking all the details down as it is.

Archived