When is a red claw not a red claw?

Feral

Well she moulted the other day, and guess what - she is not a red claw after all. Often female red claws dont show colour on the claws, and she was nearly black from the environment she had lived in, we all just assumed she was a redclaw because thats what every other one we caught was.

She is a genuine Blue claw, a native of Queensland and not a pest! (and huge for a blueclaw!)

She is brilliantly coloured now, the kids are very impressed! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1060050.jpg

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/24 20:04

post-134-144598410007_thumb.jpg

Feral,

It is a redclaw. I've been breeding them in tanks for years. The female doesn't have a red claw. Only the male has on the outside edge of each claw.

You will find the blues have much stubbier/chunkier claws. The redclaws' are more slender (as in your picture).

They are easy to breed by the way. Introduce a male and it will all happen. A good and interesting thing for the kids (big & small) to observe. The female carries a large cluster of eggs under the tail which eventually hatch. The babies then remain where the eggs were for about a month before dispersing.

Did you witness the shedding of the old shell ? Bloody amazing!

Post edited by: ellicat, at: 2007/04/17 18:18

Yeah my brother has a native and it is alot chunkyier that that girl. In fact he's had it since easter 4 years back (we got it from leslie dam) and even when we got it, it was the biggest one we could catch. About 4 inches (not including the claws and that length is with the tail curled up, so it is a big yabbie, we're not going to eat it though, their too cool). It's shed it skin a few times so far. What do you feed yours, we feed ours live worms and little fish from the local creek.

Well she is not that fussed on raw meat, she will eat it.

Generally her favourite is roast chicken (which suprisingly enough was the bait Brian used to catch her), pork spare ribs, and turkey spam. She is also partial to a bit of rockmelon and watermelon. Chuck any of the above in the tank and she is on it like a long dog.

She also goes through a bit of Baroon Pocket weed!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/28 22:42

• 3 weeks later...

Feral wrote:

Well she is not that fussed on raw meat, she will eat it.

Generally her favourite is roast chicken (which suprisingly enough was the bait Brian used to catch her), pork spare ribs, and turkey spam. She is also partial to a bit of rockmelon and watermelon. Chuck any of the above in the tank and she is on it like a long dog.

She also goes through a bit of Baroon Pocket weed!<br /><br />Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/03/28 22:42

Try a knob of carrot. If you're real quiet you can hear them crunching on it.

When I had them in the TV room I swear I heard one say \"What's up Doc?\" (OK this bit's not true but the first part is :laugh: )

Archived