Is this the biggest catfish caught in QLD?

Mungrel Jack

To answer your question I don't think so I have heard of reports of cat fish coming out of monduran that were busting 50pound braid to they went to 80pound not sure if thats a porkie pie but this come from a locial I know up there my stepfather.

I remember seeing some years ago on the cover or moden fishing I think it was there was a lady sitting on the front of a tinny holding a cattie by the gills and it's tail was draging is tail on the ground now thats a cattie worth taking a photo of.I have eaten frsh water cat fish but I thing I wouldn't eat salties better fish in the salt

cheers dassa

P.S If I can find that photo in modern fishing I'll try and put it up

I remember when I was a kid I saw a eel-tail catty in enoggera creek. I used fish this creek all the time and some time after a flood event I saw this big fish swimming around its nest. It wasn't quite as big as the forkie in the pic but maybe would have gone 6kg. It was a monster. We threw everything we had at it at the time but it just wasn't interested.

However that truly is a ripper of a fish. Even though it is a catty. ;)

cheers

Beefa wrote:

These are called Salmon Catfish aren't they?

Heath

i think your right heath on it being a salmon catfish. I caught a few in the gulf. they have a different head little more trianglular shaped. Not sure exactly what species though. There flesh is really white and suprisingly clean. The Murris love em.

Matt

WHOA!! :ohmy: Thats a good size catty. :woohoo:

The bay is full of em and ya catch em often in about 9 mtrs of water on the edge of the shipping chanel. certainly no where near the biggest in Qld have seen way bigger cattys caught in the bay.I too have had a crack at eating a blue catty few years back. fillet n skinned its flesh is buet and I would rate it higher than some reef fish.It does not smell and its a nice firm flesh and BBQ's exelent as mark already said its a mind over mater thing and ya just have to tell the boys on the camping trip to toughen up princess eat it or starve and eat it we did and loveed it too. :laugh:

wesfish wrote:

i am pretty sure that breed of cat fish is called a blue catfish. not the same as the salmon catfish caught in the creeks and rivers and dams, they are a bay ocean sort of catty i think . all ways get them in the bay on big live baits.

Pretty sure your right, they run amuk on us out at nelsons one night

darbwah wrote:

mate that one was from karumba. fought really well. went 104cm. got three that night over a metre. best ive seen from there is 115cm.

without google-ling, is Karumba in QLD? Man i HATE catfish! :evil: Im not afraid to handle them whatsoever, but it drives me up the wall to catch one... if i caught one that size????.... well, not sure what id do with it.... some of my family members eat the big ones, and they say its nice.... ive tried it and i almost vomited! :X

• 4 weeks later...

Impressive catty! anyone know what species is all over the brisbane river? My biggest catty was from the river and was 63cm. A midget compared to some of these photos. Lets hope some of our rivers and estuaries don't go the way of the Kali river in India which yield man eating goonch catfish haha.