fishing under wharfs

tugger

pulled up at the container wharfs this morning inbetween jobs around 3am and tied the boat up to the wharf when we saw a small tinnie underneath motoring along then the silly bloke turned his boat around and came back through our prop wash. we lost sight of him and we feared the worst that he could of been rolled over and possibly drown with the force of our wash. with our duty of care to the public we had no choice but to report it to the port authority in case he was injured or killed this action he took was reckless and does nothing for fishing reputations. i urge anyone on this site not to firstly go under ships wharfs and to stay clear of comercial vessels when they are moving or turning as in our boat the wash is very strong can and can come out from any direction as our props can direct water 360 degrees around the boat

stupid is as stupid does! mark.

is there any mention of these rules in the rule book at all ???seen quite a bit of this lately, but mostly from yakkers. personally i don't worry to much is they do get sucked under and become berley, but different for the crew on the vessel involved.

yeah rob we felt quite bad when we lost sight of him and called out for a response but had to leave in the hands of the water police for a search and posible body retreive our seach lights are mounted to high for that kind of search under wharfs

As is always the case, the stupidity of a few will ruin it for everyone and the whole port area will be off limits to fishing. You see so many dumb things on the water, but I have seen some particularly dumb things around the shipping channel and the wharves. If we don't respect that this area is a working port with large vessels constantly on the move, we will lose access, which would be a shame for many of us who like spending a day down there.

It is just common sense, isn't it? Obey the laws, keep clear of commercial vessels and make sure that the skippers of these vessels know what you are doing. You see way too many people sitting in the shipping lanes with a container ship heading their way and leaving it until the last minute to hope the outboard kicks in and finally getting out of the way. must be pretty nerve racking for the pilots and skippers of the ships.

Same thing is happening with driving on beaches and other outdoor stuff - a few idiots mean that everyone gets over regulated.

End of sunday sermon.

wow thats pretty stupid to try and cut around the back of a moving tug :S

as said above its a shame some people take it to that extent, i wont lie i go in closer to the wharves than 30m sometimes, but never when theres wharf activity and i dont go actually underneath either. let us know if you hear anything mark and my sympathies if the worst case scenario pans out.

cheers

Dan

Hi, I used to fish under there. did it for 7 years or so every 2nd day. Yes it is very dangerous under there not to mention restricted zone. to be honest the fish dropped off there about 2 years ago so I havent been back, but i Have experienced everything uder there including tug wash high tides etc. all i can say is as soon as those ropes drop get out asap as you opnly have a couple of minutes till the tug is attached and pulling (causing a washing machine like effect) . I have never come even close to what you mentioned the guy must have not known the aera well at all, there are plenty of options under there for a safe escape (wont go into details) but for all who read this the snapper afre almost gone, the sweetlip are gone and the cod are hardlyworth it. I have to say though it was the best fishing spot I have ever been to, i still have my PB snapper of 105 under there! if you were moving a vessle down the aat end there is alot of room to hide against the back wall he probably hid in there, its pitch black even at midday. anyway I know you wont look favorably at what I have said but in saying that I have never caught as many quality fish in the whole of my life. if the port authurity was really serious about people under wharves they would patrol all night not just till about 3 pm sat and sunday and in a boat that can go under to look properly. lastly when I used to go under there I would always use my customs knowledge of boat movements to pick which ones were due to leave etc and stay away from them. if the 1000 times I have been there I was only seen twice by the port security. does not make it right though

Hi Dan, just to let you know you didnt miss anything by not going under there its almost fished out now. 5 - 7 years ago you could catch the bag limit of snapper in under 1 hour, sometimes 1/2 an hour. I had a special boat and everything to go under there back then as it was worth it (i thought) but it isnt worth it now if fish is what you are after. im expecting large backlash for my other comments about going under there.

there are also some dangerous pumps around there too, from what i saw you wouldn't have a chance in a yak, on or out of it, your gone.

maybe we should all start to get under there and hide, and see how long it takes them to step up their patrols, hmmmmm there's a thought, i might start doin that!!!

nah I havent been there in over 2 years I had to let go when the fish were not happening. anyway if it were still going off I would be there every 2nd day once a week wouldnt be enough. cod are the only plentiful residents under there these days. I chase the threadies and bullies now and you dont have to worry about tugs port security etc. I guess I was lucky not to have been injured in the past, but you live and learn!

i had some workers that were on a concrete platform under there yesterday telling me to go under and get into the big snapper they could see! i asked if they could get me a work permit then i would go under lol still not good them trying to encourage some one to go under there!

hey guys, sorry to be a neusance but i am an unboat familliar fisher and my landlockness must deprive me of oxygen rendering me STUPID coz i am building a mental image of this situation, but having never seen it, i really have no idea how it all works. it sure sounds dangerous but can someone describe the scene? how much room is under there, and explain how u would be trapped/ squished?

cheers

drew :blush:

then add the 60 tons of thrust our boat puts out that no one could swim against not even grant hacket could swim his way out of it and it would pin you against a pilon and push you under and this chap in question drove through our boat wake under there

Its called allowable bycatch :( And Iam sure they never exeed their quota :laugh:

The guy that really gets me going is in the north pine river, when the dam overflows he works upstream in what is pretty much pure fresh water. Must be targeting macrobrachium :angry:

Archived