2010 March Damiki Fish Of The Month Winner - Mackerel

AFO

** This thread discusses the content article: 2010 March Damiki Fish Of The Month Winner - Mackerel **

Congratulations to Tugger for winning the March 2010 Damiki Fish Of The Month Competition. Tugger secured this placing by landing a magnificent 116cm Spanish Mackerel after an already very successful bottom bashing session off North Stradbroke Island.

A special mention also goes out to Nadders for his exceptional Wahoo capture. After much deliberation, and conferring with Nadders it was decided that a Wahoo was not eligible for the Mackerel category. Although Mackerel and Wahoo share the membership of the Scombridae family (along with Tuna's and Bonito's) they do not share the same Scientific name as all named Mackerel "Scomber or Scomberomorus".

Now that the precedent is set however, and as Whaoo seem to be a "stand alone" species, they will be included in the Mackerel category for any future AFO competitions or events.

The Fish OF The Month for April 2010 is Jewfish/Mulloway.

Good luck to all those competing!

The Team

Brisbane Fishing Online 2010MarchFOTM.JPG

Nice work Mark!

Also very nice work nadders and all those that entered. Thanks for setting the precedent nadders :)

Yeah it seems that a lot of river jew are being caught. The last time they were FOTM was only October last year but it does seem like a great category to give a lot of people an opportunity to either put existing knowledge into practice or just get out there and have a crack locally!

Angus

i'd like to thank AFO and Damiki for the forth coming prize and hope people take advantage of my advice in the mackerel fish of the month chat thread for march as i know a few members have already used it with success. the month of march was very wild weather wise and there was not many oppotunities to get out with not many entries last month. if people wish to target mackerel for the first time or unsure of the best time of year in sth east qld it is the months that have just passed (january febuary march). i'd like to thank dan for being graceous as i'd didn't want to comment on what a mackerel is and i stayed out of that debate and left it for the judges

thanks again

mark

Archived