Other fish in Bass closed season

fenelious

fenelious wrote:

Wow, what a can of worms I opened up there.

Just for the record I'm well aware of what the rules state, and had/have no intention of 'taking' or 'attempting to take' a Bass in closed waters. I didn't really require an explanation or clarification of the rule, all I asked was: is there a fishing method that could be used to catch those other mentioned species (Yella, Cod, Toga... and for that matter Tarpon) that would not be likely to catch or be viewed as targeting Bass.

i.e. Is there a lure type or bait type that Bass don't like that these other species will take? It seems probably not, but no one really answered that question (besides maybe the bloke that suggested bread or corn for Carp and Tilapia).

Please don't patronise me by saying 'just leave the Bass alone', because that's exactly what I want to do. If there's no solution to my question then just say so, don't accuse me of trying to sneakingly do the wrong thing. If there's not an alternate method that's unlikely to catch Bass I'll just stick to the dams over winter.

And as a footnote Elops; 99% of the time I release all Bass that I catch in rivers, and would certainly release any Cod of any type that I caught.

-Steve.

Steve,

Sorry if my initial reply was not clear enough to specificly answer your question.

The simple reply to your question is no, there is no real way to target the other species without catching Bass on either bait or lure. And I certainly never meant to accuse you, in the various exchanges in the thread of of trying to do the wrong thing.

Cheers,

Steve.

just an opinion,fishing a number of these bass river and creek areas during the closed season is a numbers game,just like open season,eg:..of the fish you catch 7-8 out of 10 chances it would be a bass..2 out of 10 chances it would be another species.

Comes down to the individual.

Still just an opinion,its a bit like throwing an explosive into a busy Sunday Markets area and saying,I was only after men aged between 25-35 years old.

Each to their own

fenelious wrote:

Wow, what a can of worms I opened up there.

Just for the record I'm well aware of what the rules state, and had/have no intention of 'taking' or 'attempting to take' a Bass in closed waters. I didn't really require an explanation or clarification of the rule, all I asked was: is there a fishing method that could be used to catch those other mentioned species (Yella, Cod, Toga... and for that matter Tarpon) that would not be likely to catch or be viewed as targeting Bass.

i.e. Is there a lure type or bait type that Bass don't like that these other species will take? It seems probably not, but no one really answered that question (besides maybe the bloke that suggested bread or corn for Carp and Tilapia).

Please don't patronise me by saying 'just leave the Bass alone', because that's exactly what I want to do. If there's no solution to my question then just say so, don't accuse me of trying to sneakingly do the wrong thing. If there's not an alternate method that's unlikely to catch Bass I'll just stick to the dams over winter.

And as a footnote Elops; 99% of the time I release all Bass that I catch in rivers, and would certainly release any Cod of any type that I caught.

-Steve.

Just take me with you and you will be guaranteed not to catch bass...or anything else for that matter :blink:

Kev

locking this thread, theres plenty of them in the fresh water section this time every year with the same info and all lead to shite fights. the original question has been answered and everything else just leads away from the original question at hand.

Archived