Boat Questions

Tim a

Hey guys,

Since there are now a good few members and a few with boats I wanted to ask some questions.

I'm looking for a small boat. Preferably an easy to use and maintain. So far I've been looking at tinny's around 10 - 12 feet long. I'll also need a trailer with it.

I would need a motor and trailer but I could try get them after the hull. Any other accessories aren't needed at first because I will just add them on as funds add up.

Q1.

What would be a good price for a good condition 10 foot tinny with and with out motor.

Q2.

Same as Q1 except with a 12 foot.

Q3.

What is the minimum age you can get your boat license?

Q4.

How much would a trailer cost for a tinny like this?

Q5.

Would I be able to build a casting deck on it?

Q5.

Would and a bow mounted electric work on this sized tinney? If so, how much would it cost roughly.

Q6.

Would I be able to take them out into the bay if the weather was calm?

If you could answer any of these questions with the right info there will be some serious karma happening!!

If possible, I would like to get the whole package for around $1000.

Also this is a long distance project. Hopefully I will have it by the Christmas Holidays so I can build the casting deck then.

Thanks!!!

Tim

hey man i wouldnt take a boat that small out to far

how many people you want to take? i think license is qld is 15 or 16 and costs around $150.00

as for price i would look in the trading post each week

though might get an all right 2cnd hand hull i would say the motor be pretty ordinary at the money you want to spend. would be ok in the river at that size though

oh and stay away from small fibreglass boats- there alot heavier and need larger engines to get moving and if your checking out a boat (tinnie) see if you can get under it and look for pin holes where seats are people drop hooks and stuff under and dont flush out properly so when the hook rusts and can leave pin holes in boat,

could go on for ages but im sure someones got some better answers for you

cheers:)

Thanks mate.

I was wondering about the motor, Might up the budget for the motor then.

The boat will mainly be used for river/estuary work with a little bit of action in the bay if the weather is Calm.

Another question, What type/size motor would be reccomended?

dude i might get abit bigger than 12 foot if i had the choice it just doesnt have enough space the hull you could pick up for prob $350 for a 12 and about the same price for a ten

feral has many posts about smallish tinnies on e bay as for the casting deck you wouldnt need one if it was flat bottomed as the 12 ft im currently borrowing has awesome stability

as for q6 only if you really know the bay was an answer i received to the same question cause it can turn nasty

another thing to watch for is that if you have small sides walls whatever the boat jargon is for them youl have to watch out for bigger boats waves as youl take water

save a bit more and get a bigger boat maybe 3.5 metres or so youll own it longer and go more places in it

well thats what i think anyway

little 2 strokes a cheaper then 4's as for size it all depends on what hull you buy and what its rated at. try to go as close as it handle as if its rated at 30hp and you bolt on a 15hp you will go through more fuel and mataince as you will have to push it harder so while the bigger motor is more expensive can sometimes work out cheaper in the long run. would suggest a mechanic checkin it out first before buyin as out boards aint cheap luckly for a little 10 or 12ft boat you can get away with the smaller engines

I'm 15, work casual but have already got a good bit of the funds. I don't want to go higher than 12 foot tho. Then It will become a storage problem and it's more a runabout boat for estuaries and rivers so it doesn't need to be big. I'm not gonna have the boat for a good while yet so right now I'm more planning.

Jake, I would get the skeeter now but then you'd get angry coz I wouldn't take you out on it because you never take me!:laugh:

yeah if you wanna get small tinnie go the 12ft they are light as too it will serve you well chasing bream in sheltered water like canals creeks and dams the one i use at the moment is my uncles it has a 5hp on it so you dont need a license to operate it but it does need to be registered it gets along quite fine with two people tackle boxs and a decent size esky

though it is cramped and not the fastest it goes alright and will run on next two nothing it is a two stroke mercury rip off forget name of motor

timbo...

this was a topic i was researching for a very long time, until i gave up. on top of all these things youve mentioned theres others as well. the crushing factor that ruled out my possiblity for a boat was storage. i have a 1 car garage and a 3 car driveway and there still wasnt enough room, unless you could possibly get it into the backyard. another thing is until you get ur own car, you will be at the mercy of your olds to take you out. for 1k, i dont think you will get a boat with a motor, trailer, and hull, as a 6 hp is worth that alone. i seem to miss all the bargains, terry got a centre console 25hp for 2k i think it was, which is incredible. you should be able to get a 6hp 12 foot with a trailer and accesories of the trading post or weekend shopper, as 1.5-1.7 is generally the asking price. as soon as you go over 10 hp, the cost is far greater. also, the idea of your own boat is much like the castnet theory. once you get used to the boat, like a 6 foot net, you will immediatley be wanting a biger and better one. im holding out until i can buy one like terries. if anyones sellin a boat or reads a good deal, i got 4k to blow on one. as long as u stay on 6hp or lower, u dont need a license.

jordan

Words of wisdom right there jordan thanks!

I've got storage and I've got the approval of the old folks + a back up plan for towing.

I'm putting the budge up to $2000 now. I rekon if I shop around and keep my eyes open I could get something decent for that. The thing is that I couldn't get a boat much bigger. Because, this boat is only to last me a few years until I can get my first tournament setup.

Q1.

What would be a good price for a good condition 10 foot tinny with and with out motor.

Start at 2000 and work up for a 2nd hand boat, motor and trailer

Q2.

Same as Q1 except with a 12 foot.

Go the 12 foot

Q5.

Would I be able to build a casting deck on it?

You wont really need to in such a small boat but it's easy to do, plywood and carpet.

Q5.

Would and a bow mounted electric work on this sized tinney? If so, how much would it cost roughly.

Yes, as a primary motor it would be ok for dams but you would have no chance of say going to Jumpinpin

A new bow mount is about 1400 to 2000 depending on size. Transom mounts are much cheaper but you need 1 hand free to stare them.

Q6.

Would I be able to take them out into the bay if the weather was calm?

I would advise against it, like others have said it's not going thats the problem it's getting home if it turns ugly.

My advice is save ya $ and wait till you can afford what you want. Nothing worse than buyers remorse. As far as easy to maintain have a look at a 2nd hand polycraft 4.1m. probably out of your price range at this stage but no rust, no rot and you can bang them up over banks and rocks. I love mine (it's a 4.55)

Any more questions just ask or pm me.

Tim a wrote:

Thanks poly!

Looks like I'm gonna have to work a good bit more then!

Took me about 4 years to save and buy mine.But I wanted to get it right and wanted something for bay and river, easy to use and safe.

[img size=480]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Side1-f870f3590eef6692855ada9f653d6a01.jpg

post-458-14459841284_thumb.jpg

You can mount a transom mount motor to the front of a boat no problems if that is what you want to do.

Most of them you can turn the head around. If you have a look in the boating topic, I have a thread on my small tinnie I did up, it has an example of a mount made for a transom mount motor put on the front of a tinnie.

On small tinnies this is an easier way to use them, it allows you to sit in the front seat and run the boat facing forward, not having your arm twisted around behind your back at an awkward angle.

You can get a 12 foot tinnie, 15HP, safety gear rego etc on the water for about $5500 new. Second hand 2000 for a roughie up to about 3000 for a goodie.

With that small a boat you have transport options other than a boat trailer. You can carry it on roof racks, or on a box trailer (which is how I transport my little tinnie) if you have access to either method, and a deckie to help you load unload, might give you a bit more budget for the boat.

A 10 foot hull is about $1000 new, a 12foot about $1300.

Keep it 4hp and under, no registration

Keep it 6hp or under and no licence required

I'd recommend a 12 footer with a 15HP on the back and a 40lb or bigger transom electric mounted on the front as your target for something useful that will be flexible and last you a few years.

When you move on to something bigger, it can be your dam boat!.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/25 18:21

I dont see why you wouldnt be able to pick up a good 12 ft outfit for under $1000. You dont have to get the latest hull design and a 4 stroke motor.

Some of the old booker and clark tinneys were very solidly built and last for ever.

They used thicker metal and the strength is in the metal not in the fancy pressing and high tensile metal.

Some of the later 2mil or 1.5 mil thick hulls that are currently made are next to impossible to weld if there is any corrosion present and its even worse if the hull is painted as the paint has to be ground off before it can be welded.

The same goes for outboards the old 70s or 80s 6hp evinrude or johnson go for ever and have few vices. Steer clear of the chryslers and mercurys as they can have corrosion problems unless they are dealer serviced reguraly.Early suzukis are also a bit sus because of corrosion and they also had chrome bores and the chrome peels away and bingo big bang.

Try placing a post on all the fishing websites and see what bobs up.

Also watch their for sale bulletin boards. There has been a few good buys on ausfish recently.

Other sites to check are ebay but you have to be a bit careful and get someone to check the rig out for you .

The trading post also has some good buys from time to time. Start checking it out on line every evening from Saturday onwards and you can see the adds before the trading post is published on thursday.

There is nothing wrong with going out in the bay in a 12 footer once you have developed a bit of experience and know your and the boats limitations.

My motto is go out early before the breeze gets up and if you are in doubt about the weather dont go.

Winter time can give you some beautiful days.

Beware OF summer storms you dont have to be out in the bay to get into trouble in a storm.

Leave the electric and the casting platform till last you can always add these later and fit it out yourself.

Hope you are not getting confused with all the conflicting advice.

Ray

Hi Tim, I have just been through the very same scenario.

I ended up setting my budget at $2000 and looked for about a month till I found the right rig ( I hope!)

Last weekend I put a deposit on a 10 foot tinny and Trailer with a 6hp Johnson. Both boat and motor are old (80's) and well used, but seem well looked after. Ended up making an offer of $1100.00 (advertised at $1350). An older fellow was the seller and a very nice one at that.

The 6hp no licence was a big point for me, and 10 foot should be easy enough to handle by myself, but not too small for 2 people.

My tip, be realistic (newer is not always better) and be prepared to do a bit of research( ebay, Trad Post, Local papers etc)

Good Luck;)

Thanks guys!

So far-

Look around for what I want and be prepared negotiate on price. Not just for the newest most flashy boats. Check Bfo, ausfish, ebay, ausbream, aussbass, breammaster, sportsfish and the trading post.

Look for the 12 foot not 10 foot. No mecury or chysler motors go the suzuki. But what I don't get is the motor sizing. Like horse power and strokes and stuff.

Thanks

Tim

I'm no mechanic, but here goes.

2 stroke you need to add oil to the fuel mix ( like some mowers or whippasnippas ), 4 stroke has a seperate oil supply like your car.

Both 2 and 4 strokes have various +ves and -ves, most older motors will be 2 stroke in the size range we have been discussing.

Horse power is an indication of power... the higher the horsepower, the more power the engine produces.

You now know as much as I do on the subject ( not a lot:laugh: )

Good luck

mate, my advice would be to save your money till you can afford exactly what you want. Not much point buying something 2nd hand, below par, you'll just end up losing money when you sell it off. what's more, i doubt that what you'd get for your current budget is really what you have in mind right?

em, well, for mucking around in the bay I would really recommend a v-hull, (especially since you're going for bream!) - flat hulled boats get alot of slap when there's abit of chop or when the wind comes up, and this tends to spook the fish off, and not to mention make you drift off alot faster than you'd like to! Punts can generally take you to waters shallower that you can play around with with a v-hull, but I'd say that from what I've seen from Brisbane waters, a v-hull'd suit you better.

should be much safer as well, you'd be able to get on the plane faster, and if you do get caught out in the bay when the wind picks up, at least you can get the engine running and ride it out much easier and safer. With a punt, a half meter wave coming at you from the wrong angle would easily flip ya boat! Especially since you're gonna put such a small engine on it.

Engine wise, buy the best that you can afford. My personal favourite is my 18hp Tohatsu(recon Mercury). It starts up alot better and is generally alot more stable compared to a smaller Suzuki that I have. More common or newer models and brands are preferrable to- have to keep spare parts in mind mate! breakdowns do happen! ;P.

Between 2 and 4 stroke, 4-stroke engines are quieter, less maintenance is needed, and are generally easier to look after- especially the carburretors, but having said all that they're about 2-3 times more expensive than an equivalent 2 stroke. But the advantages are there tho- quieter and cleaner running, the ability to use straight unleaded petrol (2-stroke engines need their fuel to be mixed with 2T before you fill the tank up) and generally less fuss. My choice for a 12ft boat? 15hp minimum. better to have the speed than not to have it. for my personal estuary rig, i've a 16ft custom double hull fibreglass with a 18hp tohatsu on it. Max speed - 23knots. fast enough i'd say :lol: :lol:

If you're going to buy the engine and the boat separately, it's advisable to buy one first, and try the other on it to make sure they match first. Meaning, that particular engine can plane the boat properly- the water intake is sufficient when the boat is planing, and the balancing. when I first got my custom rig, I burnt out my old(1st generation) Honda 4-stroke shaft :S because I forgot that my Honda was a short-leg version, and the transom on the new hull was higher than on my previous boat! :pinch: It cost about 50% of the original motor price to repair it!

oh, another thing, if you're considering a small rig, I think it'd be best to forget abt the trailer. We use 12ft Etamax aluminium punts alot in Malaysia, and we just chuck em on top of our roof racks. A 12ft aluminium wouldnt really weigh more than 50kgs. Enough for 2 blokes to carry without much sweat mate. The engine, the jerrycan and the gear are a piece of cake.

for your thruster, stay away from those cheap or parallel brands. Some of those use lousy seals on their props, and you'll get the bottom part of your shaft eaten away. bow-mounts are best, but I've yet to own one myself, so cant say much there. If you can afford it, get a Minn Kota. I've got a 60lb one, and it's delivers much more power than my equivalent Motorguide. not too sure about what's available in Oz, so best to seek the others for advice there. best to check spare-part availability as well, especially for the props as you're bound to hit rocks, gravels and other stuff and ding it up a little.

Post edited by: kiara_poltegerist, at: 2007/04/26 19:32

Precisely what I needed to know thanks guys!

Kiara, if I was saving to get exactly what I wanted, I'd be saving a looong time! Exactly what a want is a $79 grand skeeter:lol:

I've seen some of the boats I wanted on ausfish avatars and have been pm'ing a fair bit getting details.

Just sent this PM to Tim, board says he is on line, but he might just be logged in. Anyone know him? Its a good buy, and would fit the size boat he is chasing.

Tim,

You on line?

have a look at this, you have about 50 minutes to make up your mind.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/9-5-hp-JOHNSON-OUTBOARD-RUNS-GREAT_W0QQitemZ150117246478QQihZ005QQcategoryZ26451QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/29 19:14

Looks the goods and had a few parts replaced but too old and he really need a 15hp and a newish type of outboard to get a 12ft boat on the plain. Anything smaller is just a waste of time!

Tim do yourself a favour and get a 15hp motor.....

I had a 6hp on my 10ft boat and it was way slow,a 15hp on a 10ft \"LOOK OUT\" but a 15hp on a 12ft is just right and can get the boat on the plain....;)

No worries Tim.

Dazza would of made a good stop gap for that sort of money. It will probably end up going for a couple of hundred, very good buying. If it was a long shaft, I'd bid myself, but transom to high on the bullet!

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2007/04/29 19:49

if you trim it up properly it will plane when i go in my unc 12 ft with a five on it i dont have a seat i gotta in the middle and to the side it lifts up but still not the quickest thing on the water i think a granny swam past us the other weekend

I paid about $700 for this and thought it was a bargin.

My advise is simply - there are 2 types of boats, the one you want and the one you have. Very rarely do the 2 meet. For about $2500 you should get a reliable BMT around 12' with 6HP. Anything cheaper and you need to know what you are doing as the motor could crap it out anytime and you get stuck, the trailer would most likely suck.

At that priceit's all about the motor and getting you home. The fit out will take care of itself. [img size=488]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/p1.JPG

post-118-144598413406_thumb.jpg

Archived