Good fishing knife

Cool. I am very interested in buying some top quality filleting knives that are all about functionality and not pretty looks. They have som many blade profiles. How the hell do I decide on what will suit me best?

Any idea how much these are worth?

not sure, should be about $30.00 to $40.00 a piece.

bigger ones may go for more, but don't quote me on prices.

From what I see on a quick google search (AU dollars) the divers knife range is an average of $30.00 a piece.

blade profile would be fillet knife, and the size would be up to you, depending on the size of fish, probably for off-shore go to the larger sizes, but not necessarily the biggest they got.

Depends really a larger knife can be used quite well as long as it is not ridiculously large.

cheers

@ times I can get hold of victornox boning knifes that have had lots of use but sharpen up to make great gp fishing knifes fillet/bait etc I'll see what I can get free to good homes (you sharpen lol)

I'll ask tomorrow if I can buy though work the new price ;)

cheers Gaz

my trade is a butcher, I always used victorinox steak knives and swibo boning knives.

I bought a swibo filleting knife about 5 years ago, it cost me about 60 bucks but I havent had to sharpen it once yet as I only use it to fillet fish.

If your after a good filleting knife forget all those BCF brand name knives like Shimano and Berkley cos they are just cheap crap with a well known name stuck on them so people will think they are high quality when in fact they are just rust waiting to happen.

Cheers Beejay....P.S Make sure you also have a good quality diamond tipped steel to keep the edge on your knives, this is a very important tool, anyone who spends good money on good knives should own a steel as well.... :)

have used victoninox,

& swibo are quality, about $70, from bcf, it went for a permanent swim 50ks off gladstone. bcf also sell a couple of other decent brands, that are swiss made.

a mate bought 10 fillet knives off ebay for 2 bucks each, gave me two. they serve their purpose well, so far.

Yep, victory knives are the beez neez in knifes....coming from a butchering family i can definately vouch for them.

I still have some old wooden handled ones from back in the day before they were banned from butcheries due to holding bacteria.

My brother has a victory filleting knife, and it is very nice. He gets knifes into the shop for sale to customers too so i'll see if he can get some filleting knifes in :-)

Cheers

Nat

Yoodles82 wrote:

Yep, victory knives are the beez neez in knifes....coming from a butchering family i can definately vouch for them.

I still have some old wooden handled ones from back in the day before they were banned from butcheries due to holding bacteria.

My brother has a victory filleting knife, and it is very nice. He gets knifes into the shop for sale to customers too so i'll see if he can get some filleting knifes in :-)

Cheers

Nat

Good idea then you can post it up here to get him some sales (after asking of course, not sure what the forum rules are, but it sounds a good idea).

To Dhess just looking I would go with something like 3/512 for general purpose filleting or 2/802 or 2/505 or 2/150 for off shore and Bay, genrally Australian fish have tough bones so you want something with a bit of strength.

The straight fillet knife range also looks the goods and I can vouch that those straight back knives cut nice and straight (the largest knife in that range looks good).

cheers

Archived