One for the grease monkeys ;)

Travis

Some of you know that kia truck ive got.... the motor got rebuilt 13 thou ago and has been bubbling in the rad and res for a while and been back to the mechanic various times, last weekend he replaced the head gasket even tho i rekkoin it was good.... 3 days later the heater went in the dash so took it back and we just cut the hoses and blaked them off, now were back to the problem we had in the beginning.... bubbling in the rad and res regardless of weather the engine is hot or cold, small droplets of oil in the rad flat up, the engine isnt overheating but the temp drops after driving for a while im guessing due to an air pocket forming... any ideas because the mech is useless and im thinking of burning it lol

Cheers

Trav

G'day trav mate if you have an air lock you need to get the beast up on ramps and drain the radiator and fill it again when it is full start it up let it build up the pressure take the cap of and let the air out and fill again until it is full it may take some time good luck if you have any probs give me a call 0439297748

cheers dassa

dassa its had the system drained and filled numerous times at the mechanics, you know heather gone, lost water filled, head off, head on that sort of thing, the bubbling is full on and has been getting worse over a few months??? you rekkon it would be an airlock, i thought of that but steered away from it due to the fact that the rad had been filled so many times :huh: surely the mech (perrys engine reconditioning at petrie) would be onto it?

Shame on you! I thought a plumber would know about these things. :D

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirator

Basically its air getting sucked into the liquid as it flows past due to pressure differential. All it takes is a leak in the right (or wrong place).

grab a temp gun and check the radiator and connecting hoses and water pump and motor. the results should tell you where the heating problem is. had a truck with a regular overheating problem. the radiator hose in and out where on the same side. problem no deflector plate on top of radiator.water was only circulating one side of radiator.design problem.

dhess wrote:

Shame on you! I thought a plumber would know about these things. :D

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

/>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspirator

Basically its air getting sucked into the liquid as it flows past due to pressure differential. All it takes is a leak in the right (or wrong place).

Yeah i must have been at the pub that day dhess.... all you really need to know is sh!t flows downhill and paydays wednesday... hooked it still drives :laugh: but i like where your coming from :P

If there is oil in the radiator, it can only mean bad things mate. I've heard of cracks in water jackets/blocks/heads that would only appear under microscopes, but once the heat of the motor heated the metal of the surrounding block, they would grow, enabling the oil/water under pressure to mix with each other.

You haven't mentioned whether the truck is auto or manual? I've seen a few dramas with these smaller korean made trucks involving the internal (radiator) trans coolers cracking and releasing trans fluid into the radiator fluid.

Aoart from that, it's stumped me chief.

Good luck

Travis wrote:

no water getting into oil felix, its a manual so its not tranny, maybe just a dysfunctional block or something that neds to drive until it bangs i huess... not mine anyway just sick of taking it to the mech

If it's a work car, let them deal with it mate. So long as you've got another ride to get to work, it's all good :)

First of all is it petrol or diesel ? Are the bubbles present on cold start? was the head crack tested when the motor was rebuilt ? is the engine hard to start after cooling down ? Has the mechanic carried out a teekay head check? Bubbles in the cooling system can be caused by a couple of different things as mentioned buy some other members a crack in the cylinder head is the likely cause A tee kay check should pick this up if not the only way to check is to remove the head and have it crack tested . The only solution I have for you is if the mechanic has rebuilt the motor he has to offer a warranty of some discription . is he has sublet the motor for rebuild to an engine reconditioner then the offer a warranty with every engine either way in the intrest of customer service the mechanic should fix the motor with no charge to yourself . The only problem with this is if the engine has been hot the heat tabs (little metal discs that are applied with heat glue) on the motor may have melted off this will void any warranty also with your own admision you have removed the head your self this would also void any warranty. hop this helps if you want to have the tee kay check done give me a call at work 38187355 and can arrange a time.

bubbling is full on hey

so the cool system is pressurising too much .

maybe from compression leaking from the cylinders to the cooling system .

cracked warped head or head gasket .

block cracked in between the pistons and water jackets .

these cracks/ warped can me so small u can't see /feel them .

also there are those ones that come and go as the motor heats up or cools down .

that's some of the things i have heard cause that .

what flexo said too.

hehe

its a kia .

that about sums it up.

i havnt done any work to it the mechanic has done everything... flexo, its diesel, bubbles are present on startup and hot, not little bubbles - full on gushing almost, dunno what tests he did when he rebilt it of replaced the gasket.. all work he has done on it has failed to solve the problem, its not little foaming bubbles like if the head was cracked is all, just seeing what every1s thoughts were on it, its going back till its fixed.

Cheers all :)

mate, only way a cooling system can bubble is from combustion leakage into the cooling system (blown head gasket, cracked head, cracked cylinder liner or like wes said stretched head studs, ) used to work on these heaps of crap and have seen all of those problems with them and the genuine kia head bolts are rubbish ou use them once and thats it they stretch like all hell. as flexo said a teekay head check will prove this, it detects combustions gass- exhuast fumes from the cooling system.

engine failure in K2700 kia trucks is envitable - dump and get your boss to buy you a canter.

Could be a buggered thermostat, or radiator cap is faulty allowing pressure to be released, if your cooling system is not pressurized properly your engine will overheat alot quicker.

When you say bubbling is it mainly in the overflow tank??

Also as others have said could be compression leaking from a worn block near piston chamber, i had that happen on an old pintara, ran like a steam train??

Hope ya get it fixed mate.

Cheers

ist that the united chant ray :laugh: took it back today, he put the guage on the rad and pumped it up, then told me to start it... 3, 2, 1 BANG off comes the top hose all thru the truck :laugh: res if totally full of oil in 6 days too... ahh well glad its not mine

Archived