creek monster

James W

hahaha! still grinning! went to my mates fav landbased spot to chase some flattys the other day, and got my best fish of the year! a 91cm queenie!

flicking sps around for lizards was pretty slow when some mullet were getting hammered right in front of us. the plastics were not getting a hit in amost the action so i tied on a metal slug, and in 2 casts i had massive silver flashes following me in. several casts later and still no hook up i tried a popper. thought i was a bit late by then as the mullet had dissapeared :)

i reckon i made 30 blind casts around the little opening of scrub i had when bang! the most awesome surface strike i have ever had! a screaming run, then a massive jump! my cheap little $30 dawia outfit was getting owned! while fighting the queenie i took off my shoes and emptied my pockets so i could get in the water to avoid the many snags bankside the fish aimed for..another jump or 2 and more hard as runs, the fish stayed deep and the battle went on for over 10 minutes. i was not at all confident about landing it, thought i had no chance. but i did it, and i screamed the loudest i have ever screamed as i tailed the queenfish! wooohoo! a yellow and clear berkley frenzy popper did its job! the cheap outfit and cheaper leader made it through! awesome! im puffed just writing about it! :laugh: q1.jpg

Archived