Cape York with the family.

Al R

I have been up to my camp on Cape York 10 times since june so I was begining to feel the pressure at home for a family run out to the heart of the cape. The drive isnt all that far at 5 hours, but with 2 boys and a 2 year old girl in the back seat it was.....longer. Luckily the drive into camp was broken up by sightings of emus, wallabies, birdlife and a good boar feeding out in the open. We took a few pictures and watched him feeding for a little while. Once at camp the boys hooked straight in to the fishing with Kehnan my 11 year old landing a respectable 60 cm saratoga. My other boy Jay was next with a nice sooty that he had to keep for lunch. The Saratoga were a little hard to get to take lures this trip ,possibly due to the chilly nights. The boys were having a ball with red claw and cherabin heads as bait, nailing saratoga and sooties one after the other. Kehnan landed the biggest sooty grunter I have seen on the property in 35 years of fishing there(which he released), using a large red claw head as bait. Even my better half Jacqui had a go and landed a nice saratoga, her first. One unfortunate saratoga I was trying to land was grabbed by a freshwater crocodile and after a fair battle I was victorious ,having landed croc, fish and all(funny stuff).I took the boys for a quick hunt the day before we left and nailed a nice boar 500 metres from camp. Then back to the fishing ,which was really starting to pick up by this stage possibly due to the storm activity we could see in the distance that night.(We even caught a Saratoga in an opera house pot!)That night I was forced to make the hungry mob my specialty, Red Claw and Cherabin Thai laksa as our last supper.(No complaints) All up the boys had nailed several saratoga each with the biggest being a 72 cm model, too many sooty grunter to remember and a variety of other species including Spangled Perch, Tarpon and Archer fish. DSCN3124.jpgDSCN3132.jpgDSCN3142.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_013.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_171.jpgDSCN3278.jpgDSCN3325.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_217.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_043.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_031.jpgDSCN3312.jpgDSCN3289.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_165.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_198.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_207.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_232.jpgstation_trip_with_kids_sep_2010_236.jpg

Yeah the croc did have a go over about 5 minutes....like a pitbull. Even when I had hold of the leader it wouldnt let the fish go. I had to grab him around the neck before he would release the fish. I had a fly fishing photographer/writer up here a few weeks back and 1 of his crew had the same experience, only he was taking pics while holding the leader,then.....WHACK!!

dead set top stuff mate looks like an awseome trip i love headin up north on trips like that, nothing beats it. well done on landing that croc too. bugger if i had seen this one a few days ago i would have nominated you for rotm i hope somone else did anyways mate top stuff

Archived