Lake Baroon 16 7 06

Feral

Well Bass were on the chew today for me, I got 5 on soft plastics, but my Mate Ferg got none on hard bodies!

I had dissed the .25mm Penn 9lb line onthe reel in favour of some .20mm diawa 6lb, the penn line was crap, floated on the water like grannies knitting yarn. The Diawa line worked a treat.

The fish were not super huge (32, 35, 37, 37, 39cm) but they went like trains. Hardest fight I have had from Bass. They were very fat and full of agression, probably the squally rain bringing them on the bite. I think poor old Ferg was overwhelmed by the lack of interest in his hard boy lures, particulary as I was very lucky getting 2 of the fish.

The 39cm was just to powerful for the 6lb line and screamed away into the snags, rod was just about doubled before the drag was releasing, I had it as tight as I dared. He wrapped me around something, and I thought that was that. So I just let out a few yards of line to let it go slack whilst looking for the knife to cut it off (we were drifting), when the fish unsnagged itself and made a run across the dam into open water, where I could work it. Took me nearly 5 minutes to land it.

The other lucky one was just before we left, Ferg was joking that a good looking snag must have a fish there,we had time for two more castes, he would caste in first, to stir it up for me to follow with the soft plastic. Which we did. But as I caste, I noticed I had picked up a loop on the reel, so instead of retrieving, I stripped line off the reel over the side to clear the loop. Ferg was disgusted to see that as I wound the line back on after clearing the loop, that a 32cm fish had grabbed the plastic on the drop from the caste! (Thats him holding it in the last photo in the lakes photo section)

Colour - you can see in the photos it was sort of an orangy yellow. The bloke in the tackle shop last week told me that yellow through orange plastics were the go for Bass, reckon he was right. (My first the other week was on a plain orange shad)

Am I hooked on soft plastics - put it this way - it sure beats the heck out of pumping yabbies!

Archived