Jumpinpin

Gcarj

Hello everyone, going to the pin for the first time and need some tips to catch some fish

Just bought a stacer sea master 525 and want to catch some fish.

My problem is I have no idea on best baits, rigs or times. Please can

Someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

watch out for sandbanks, they are everywhere, and i mean everywhere, not the place i'd be goin on my first trip, yeah only sand and mud but still dont wannt be watchin the tide go out and come back in ay. easy to do if ya not careful. i'd be more inclined to try open waters like harry's artificial .

Mate I fish the pin occassionally with Do$tylz. Not being "regulars" I dont think we have cracked the code completely yet.

However the most successful tactics we have employed is as simple as setting up decent drift lines and bouncing/jigging plastics across the bottom throughout the drift. This has seen us catch plenty of flatties to a good size.

If you can set up a drift that puts you over sand bank drop offs for as long as possible this is fairly ideal.

Cheers.

Angus

Thanks Angus, too be honest I have never used soft plastics but they are definitely on my radar. I've seen bream packs etc at bcf and wondered if I should give it a crack. Are those packs worth trying or are there certain types that work better than others?

Thanks for the tip, don't have a choice about going.........the missus has booked a camp site down there so it looks like I'm going! A good thing is I'm probably overly cautious in this early stage of boating so will be on my toes for the sand banks + the so called fish finder likes to beep constantly in water under 1m deep.

I was out that way yesterday arv from high to low tide.

It's nice and clear but right below the dirty water line. Anything north gets muddy really quick.

Didn't catch anything but an undersized bream but that says more about my skills than the area. Had plenty of bites and did see a nice size bream checking out the outboard.

Look forward to the report.

Went to the pin twice last week and got some nice little flatties, water quality was a lot better than i thought it would have been, try fishing around the top or bottom of tides as tidal movement has been pretty strong, but better now that we are away from the full moon, and good fresh bait i found they will chew and for a newby in the pin study your beacon to beacon and have it on hand as there is a few spots that seem to be a bit tricky to read ( saw a 30footer hit a bank at speed on saturday lol )

good luck dont forget the camera.

Cant emphasis enough about getting a Beacon to Beacon or atleast some photocopied pages of one to study when you are there. A super common trap is that from Jacobs Well you are travelling downstream so red is on your right, but once you get to the river junction and turn left to head to the Pin you are now going upstream so red is on your left. I see so many people come 'agutsu' there.

Go to the Northern bank of Crusoe island and find where it rises from 7-8m to 1-2m very quickly. Drift the incoming tide along this bank line casting in towards the weed beds with lightly weighted plastics will ensure you a feed of lizards.

Good luck with it all and I posted a thread a little while ago with a map and some changes to the navigation marks there.

Archived