Early Morning GC Beach Fishing

Mick

A friend and hit up the Gold Coast beach, Narrowneck to be precise.

The first line was wet at about 3.45am.. It was a bit quite till the Sun started to break the horizon. Using whole pillys on gang hooks we were castin into a large gutter, when bang! my line went very tight... I was using a large Alvey with about 500m of 20lb mono.. the star drag started spooling off and a lot of weight was on the line... I let it run for a couple of minutes before it stopped I tried to get some of the lost line back but it wouldnt budge... this trigged another long run ... I upped the drag to the point were the line started making the scary PINGING noise.

Another rest and attempt at recoving some line caused the third and final run... this was was only halted when I was basically spooled I locked up the alvey with my hand wiht about 10 winds left on the spool and ping it was gone... My guess is a big Ray..

After winding in all 500 m of my line and re-rigging I was back into the fray with a growing number of beach anglers.. the two guys either side of me hit a couple of small tailor.. i though yup I am in the right spot .. sure enough next cast I get a good hit... a short battle and I pull in my biggest Tailor... just over 40cm and just under a kilo..

My mate followed up with a 35 cm tailor not long after.. both will be enjoyed for dinner tonight..

As the surfers started to overtake the breaks we moved to the broadwater for my third attempt and plastic only fishing... after throwing around slick rigs with out luck my mate suggest Itry something a bit smaller I chaged to a 3\" power minnow in blood worm... first cast a good hit a quick fight with the familiar flatty head shakes and I landed a nice 39 cm flatty... I was SO HAPPY to land my first plastic catch shame it was undersize... he was released to fight again...

A great morning fishing, my biggest Tailor and First plastic catch and home before 10:30am...

Post edited by: Mick, at: 2007/05/19 20:46

Google_files-2f4855c9377d9c78c7c0abe5bed6b047.zip

Ash wrote:

I dont know mick, something about those taylor in the pic! they're a bit thin!:woohoo:

Nice one man!

They got hit by a shark on the way in... the shark moonlites as a sushi chef...

I forget to get a pic before I filleted them...:blush:

Archived