Fishing Currimundi Lake - Sunny Coast

Manni79

Hey Guys

So I'm new to the site but recently had the privilege of fishing with Do$tylz, Danny & Angus at Straddie for Australia Day. I got talking about my morning of fishing in Currimundi & the guys said I should put up a report. I had a couple days up on the Sunny Coast (15/16 Jan) and was looking for a good land based spot, Do$tylz told me to hit up Currimundi Lake near the little spill way as he said there were many different species in there including big Jacks.

So I packed my gear got up early and headed up to the spot. I knew the area but hadn’t fished it before however I wasn’t sure what to expect given the amount of rain & bad weather we had over the December / early January period.

The actual spot is quite unassuming and is nestle amongst a new housing development however there is a footpath that runs around the lake and parts of the canals so a short walk and it was easy access. The water itself was quite dark and dirty and it seemed a lot of silt was in the water. When I got there the tide just started to run out slowly and no water was running over the spill way.

As I’m rigging up and looking round the place I start to see some activity on the surface which got the heart pumping so I pulled out a couple different poppers and started casting towards the wall itself and also the pylons a bit further to the right. After about 20 minutes, still a couple bust ups but no fish taking my popper.

I changed over to a Mojiko soft plastic (4†Fluoro Yellow with black speckles) I figured given that the water was so dark a bright plastic would do the trick and I was right!! 1st cast and I get a hit but I wasn’t able to set the hook, after a couple more casts I finally get a massive hit & before you know it this is starts running like there’s no tomorrow, I couldn’t believe my luck at this stage I wasn’t sure what was on the other end but new that it was going to be good, after a couple minutes and a lucky dodge getting the fish around one of the pylons I started to see some colour and I couldn’t believe it, a beautiful 45cm jack. I was fortunate enough the tide exposed a tiny bank of sand so I could slide it up and then climb under the fence to grab him, This was definitely my best catch on plastics and one of my best catches to date!!!

After a couple photos I put him back & went at t again, The plastics were still doing the trick and on 2 or 3 more occasions I was getting hits but couldn’t get bring them in, after a couple hours the wind really picked up and decided to call it a day !!

The following morning I went again this time with my girlfriend, surprisingly the place was a lot busier with 4 more people fishing the same spot. Whilst were setting up people were catching a range of fish, a good sized Bream, and a couple small Trev

We didn’t stay there long but decided to walk around the other side of the spill way to make room for ourselves the spill way was overflowing and the tide coming in. This time allot more hits & bites but still couldn’t pull ‘em in. My girlfriend was having more luck and even caught a small estuary cod, she was quite excited and the little fella looked very healthy.

All in all the place is definitely one worth checking out, the variety of fish here is amazing and I have heard some stores since that big Jack are lurking those waters, I will go back soon most likely will do a session at night to see what happens.

Probably wrote more than I should have so thanks for reading. I'm really looking froward to more adventures & more good fish !!

Cheers Manny !!

post-8859-144598570897_thumb.jpg

post-8859-14459857092_thumb.jpg

nice work mate, i was up there for aussie day swimming in the shallows of the lake at the mouth and enjoying a few drinks, my mate threw me a lime for my beer but it ended up in the water. withen a few seconds there were a dozon or so bream smashing the lime about 1m from me they were decent size aswell. Not having much luck atm so might start using limes for bait:lol:

nice work mate, i was up there for aussie day swimming in the shallows of the lake at the mouth and enjoying a few drinks, my mate threw me a lime for my beer but it ended up in the water. withen a few seconds there were a dozon or so bream smashing the lime about 1m from me they were decent size aswell. Not having much luck atm so might start using limes for bait:lol:

yeah i spent the day there too, with the family. if you seen a tinnie on the western side bank that was me. had a bit of a troll for a little while, nothing serious but did manage a nice bream and a lizard.

those bream must be thick in there. we had them eating bread out of our hands, some of them were quite big.

ah shi*t.. just what I need. Another work dude on this site.. how the hell am I gonna chuck sickies to go offshore with Tugger, NPD with Ray, random hunt with Angus, Yak session with Tomca....my chances of mid week 5 knot flu days are diminishing :P

Good on ya for putting up the report Manny.

Simple.... invite me along hahahaha

Do$tylz your secrets safe with me ;-)

P.S Went to Currimundi again this arvo when the tide was running in. Caught 3 moses perch, another estuary cod & puffer fish & taught my girlfriend how to bait up & cast (Gotta say she's a fast learner)apart from that nothing really to write home about as they were all small but a fun day never the less !!

Archived