Sunday arvo at the mouth

Brian D

Crap where does the weekend go, it's was Sunday arvo before I got to the waterline. Well not quite but close, something like 11.00am. I got sick of the threat of rain and 20 knott winds so I put the rain coat on the boat (binimi and clears) and headed out to the outer bar anyway.

When I got there I was the only boat, I suppose the 2-3 foot white caps might have had something to do with it.

Only managed a plate size Sole which went pack but I did get a photo. I stayed for about an hour and half, then got sick of the roller coaster and went home.

The white caps were so bad I lost my favourite flick stick over the side. Stupid me put it on the roof of the binimi and the boat tipped so much it fell off. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh! Bye by to Diawa 2500 on a ugly stick.

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/sole2.JPG

Bad luck Brian.

Hopefully we will do better friday weather pending.

I have lots a rod like that as well. But it had a fish on the other end.

Double comiserations :(

Nice sole though. I noticed the circle hook.

What bait did you get that on?

Angus.

doesnt look very circle hooky to me... looks more like a mustad hoodlum...

me and jord lost a shark rod to some thing that likes mullet and bites through mono... thank god it got through the mono... we caught it back again 4 months later at bretts wharf and have done some maintainence and its almost as smooth as before... the rod is perfect aswell

troy

Just to set the record straight

Hook was a big gun 5/0.

Bait was a whole squid and half pilly! True. I was fishing heavy.

Fish was over 33cm, but I did manage to get a photo, which is good for me.

Fight was as timbo said - no power but very floaty. It tried to run but had no chance on my small 220 size shark rod!

I have caught many of these mainly drifting for flatties in the open bay. They have teeth and can bite.

Idiot was me - the fool who lost the rod.

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/26 20:42

Post edited by: Brian D, at: 2006/07/26 20:44

haha yeh good way to put it tim... a big leaf :P

we were all wrong about guessing the hook... Brian are you sure it wasnt a hoodlum?? :P

brian were you using a half pilly and full squid on the one hook?? :?... and it doesnt look liek youll be getting over loosing that rod any time soon :laugh: its a shame though... i know how you feel... the same happened when sharking at bretts... but we lost ours to a fish :P.. luckily enough we got it bak! B)

troy

Yeap Troy - I often use a pilly and squid on same hook.

For a couple of reasons:

Pilly's are great burley but with the current being so strong in the river the pilly burley gets washed away from the boat too quickly and the fish end up down cuurent, away from my hook. By puting the burley on the hook it gets down deep and and stays closer to the hook longer.

Also the pilly's come of the hook very easy but with the squid as a back up even if the fish gets the pilly 1st go often they come back for the squid.

Definately different boys! Most flounder belong to family \"Bothidae\" and most sole belong to \"Soleidae\". I say most because there are a few exceptions...

The biggest difference between flounder and sole is the tail; flounder have a more pronounced tail, whereas a sole's tail tends to taper away to nothing, more like an eel or freshwater jew. Oh and flounder and sole are very nice on the plate:)

A bit of useless trivia: flounder (and most likely sole) actually start life with an eye on either side of their head, and swim like a normal fish. As they mature, an eye slowly migrates around to the other side of their hand, and end up swimming on their \"side\".

Archived