advice please. on new boat floor.

myself62

i am planning to put a new floor in my boat, i have recently bought it second hand, the floor seems to be a little to low to me. its a stesco 3.7 tinnie with a 15 on the back.

should the floor be level with the bottom of the seats? if anyone has advice on the best setup or even photos it would be apreciated.

i know that differant people like differant set ups, but i would like a starting point.

thanks.

Bruno.

Hey mate I am no expert but what the old man does in his boat is has the floor level with the bottom of the seats...he uses pvc pipe with 45 degree angles and t-joints etc to support the timber and then it is flush with the bottom of the seat and then just some sought of seating onto the bench seats to give you that little bit of height so your knees aren't around your ears....like I said no expert but hope this helps you anyway.

get hold of some u section aluminium that drops neatly over the cross bracing that runs across the bottom of the boat. Cut some lengths of the u section to go across the floor at the height you want the floor. Add a couple of upright supports in the centre and rivet it all together. Depending on how far appart the bracing is in your boat will determine what thickness ply you will need. About 15mm should do it. Apply some sort of protection to the ply like resin or a sealant. Glue your carpet down with contact adhesive so it wraps around underneath the floor and screw it into place.

If you think you have got it right take out the ply and get the floor supports welded in.

Terry

hey guys,

i recently fitted a floor and front cast deck to my 3.9m v nose and quite happy with the results. i used 17 mm formply for everything. the floor supports sit on the hull bracing and is not fixed in anyway to the hull so i can easily take it out to clean. its own weight holds it down and i have made it so it can't slip forward or back. i kept it at water level so as to maintain maximum stability. doing this has meant i don't get a full, seat to seat floor but pretty close. the front cast deck houes an auxilary battery which runs all the electrics. cables run thru a 50mm pvc pipe inserted in the floor supports and connect to a switch panel. its all covered in carpet and solid as a house.

you have to watch how high you put the floor becuase to high can make it very unstable in my new boat it has a carpeted floor down on the bottom between the bench seats and I pop riveted some angle to the front of the front bench seat and the outside of my anchor well measured it so it allowed for the thickness of the ply around (17mm is good) and allow about 5mm for the carpet this came up flush with the seat to create a good casting deck and is very sturdy and stable when standing on it.

i've put floors in a couple of tinnys useing formply and found you did not have to put supports under it there is no way it's going to bend, if the boat has thwart seats make your floor in pieces so they slide under the seat from the front and drop in down the back of the next seat. dont put a floor section in between the back seat and the floor keep this for fueltanks batterys, etc.

and most definately makesure your floor is at or below the waterline you need to workout a happy medium between floor area and stability especially in a \"v\" bottomed boat. i'd much rather have a smaller deck than a dangerous unstable boat

Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/06/04 18:13

thanks everyone, ill take the tips on board so to speak, sounds like the waterline will determine where my floor will go, i pose if i have a gap between the seats and the floor i could bring the carpet up and fix it to the bottom of the seats to close the gap. any thoughts there?

Archived