Skip Casting

Jords

Looking at getting into some more serious breaming, and potentially some tournament fishing next year, and was wanting to give skip casting a crack. I get the general idea, get the plastic up to high velociy at a low angle to the water (which is why I think it would be easy (easier) to do from a yak. But what rods do you guys use for it? 6', 7', fat action or slow? And I'm guessing the plastics with less resistance (i.e. gulp shrimp over curl tail grubs) would work better? And hidden weight over regular jig heads?

Cheers

There's no real trick to skip casting. Just propel the lure at speed at a low angle of release. Rod length doesn't make a difference I can skip plastics with 5' to 7'2" rods. If you're just starting out keep to hidden weight jigheads as they practically skip themselves. Where as if you're using standard jigheads it takes practice skipping weights over 1/8th oz. I know of people on the bream scene who can skip hardbodies :blink::blink: But that's an art of its own.

cheers

Wtf skipping hardbodies thats insane T__T

I find like squidgy wriggler/minnows a tad easier to skip because they have a bit more surface area to them. I can't remember the site but it's got something to do with Grayson Fong and another fella with gulp shrimp skip casting video.. the name is on the tip of my toungue but cant remember

Cheers guys, planning on getting out for a bream sesh middle next week, will definitely go give the afore mentioned ideas a crack :D . Yeah I've skipped hardbodies twice, accidently.... pretty much failed casts that landed 2m from where I wanted them to, then 1m, then 50cm, then bang where I wanted them :lol: .

Wtf skipping hardbodies thats insane T__T

I find like squidgy wriggler/minnows a tad easier to skip because they have a bit more surface area to them. I can't remember the site but it's got something to do with Grayson Fong and another fella with gulp shrimp skip casting video.. the name is on the tip of my toungue but cant remember

Grayson and Jay filmed a segment on skip casting for fishconnect.com.au. Unfortunately Jay's moved to nzl and i'm pretty sure the site no longer exists.

I have never tried to skip a plastic, but any hard body with no bib is fairly easy. Its almost a necessity when fishing for bass in skinny water with deep cover only 1ft high off the water. Nothing better than skipping a lure 6ft under the cover and it getting smashed as soon as you start the retrieve, getting them in after that is a whole other story though :S

I've had casts that has hit the water only a few meters in front of me that has skipped over the target, or through the rope or gaps in the pontoon..that's annoying :/

But it's a really good tactic and I strongly suggest getting into it. The more natural based plastics work best like gulp. Although pratically every plastic can do it.

Shaun

Archived